Railroad Forums 

• New Canadian Railfan Magazine Launched

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#659047  by jdl56

Railfan Canada is the name of a new Canadian railfan magazine. Below find a press release about it; you can visit http://www.railfancanada.ca for more information or to sign up for a subscription.

John Longhurst, Winnipeg

New Magazine about Canadian Railways Launched

Railfan Canada Features Photos, Articles About Canadian Railways

WINNIPEG, Man. -- Suzanne Lemon can't remember not ever liking trains--one of her earliest memories as a child is of seeing the vintage steam locomotive that pulled the Prairie Dog Central tourist train near Winnipeg.

"I learned to appreciate trains at a very early age," she says, noting that family trips often involved trips to places like the famed spiral tunnels in B.C. or rides on the Agawa Canyon tourist train in northern Ontario.

Later, as a photographer, she shot thousands of pictures of trains in all kinds of conditions and locations.

"Whether it's spending several hours in -30 Celsius temperatures or hiking through the bush to some inaccessible spot, I'm always in pursuit of that perfect shot of a train," she says.

Now Lemon has combined her interest in trains and photography as editor of Railfan Canada, Canada's newest magazine devoted to photographs and articles about railways.

"I know I'm not the only one who has a passion for Canadian railways, and taking photos of trains," she says. "That's why I created Railfan Canada--I want to give people who enjoy trains a place to share their stories and pictures, help them find good spots to watch trains and provide tips on taking pictures of trains."

The 50-page first issue, produced by Winnipeg-based North Kildonan Publications, was released last month. It contains a special feature on CPR # 2816, the Empress; tips on winter railway photography; a visit to train-watching hotspots in western Manitoba; articles about riding the White Pass & Yukon Railway and VIA Rail's Skeena in northern B.C.; a look at the Dolly Varden Mine in B.C. in the early part of the 20th century; and photos of trains from across Canada.

For publisher Morgan Turney, Railfan Canada is a dream come true.

"I've wanted to create a magazine like this for a long time," he says. "There are a lot of people in this country who like trains, and who also like to take pictures of trains. Railfan Canada has been created for them."

A subscription to Railfan Canada, which comes out four times a year, is $30 (Cdn). Those who subscribe by August 31 can get a chance to win a five-day trip for two on Rail Travel Tours Superior Colours of Northern Ontario.

Other items published by North Kildonan Publications include Canadian Railway Modeller, Canada's only model railway magazine, and other railway-related books, such as the Canadian Railway Heritage Guide.

To subscribe to Railfan Canada, go to http://www.railfancanada.ca or send a cheque to Box 99, Stn. F, 355 Henderson Hwy., Winnipeg, Man. R2L 2A5.

Note: this topic has been consolidated under Canadian Railfan from three individual posts under VIA Rail, Canadian National, and Canadian Pacific.
Ken V, Moderator
 #661381  by Otto Vondrak

Looks like they are off to a good start. There are things I'd change about the cover, it's very cluttered and not very easy to read.