Railroad Forums 

• NEW BOOK: "International Of Maine Division"

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#470585  by Turbo231

No, but I picked up the book "By Brain and Brawn - An Account of How Railroad Tracks Were Maintained and of the Men Who Did the Job" by Walter M. Macdougall at the Brewer Train show. Very interesting book about maintaining the rail on the CP east of Greenville.

Also has a great appendix on the last inspection of the Greenville Branch of the B&A. Wayne Duplisea, former B&A engineer was telling me when he got started and was a junior engineer, he'd often get assigned to the Greenville Branch since it was one of the more remote jobs and often given to Engineers with less seniority. BL2 #51 and #56 were lightened to go over the Bunker Brook Trestle which is featured in that appendix.
 #491871  by cbc6403

NS VIA FAN wrote:Has anyone else purchased the new book: “Canadian Pacific To The East - The International Of Maine Division” ? It’s 350 pages loaded with photos and maps. Excellant!
Just got this for Christmas (from the wife).

It's pretty impressive. So far, I've just leafed through it, but Omer really knew the subject, and this is the result.

Geoff
 #598441  by Cowford

I'm enjoying this book... and am surprised at the quantity and quality of the photos. Anyway... I was surprised to see such a physical plant at Holeb, including coal dock, etc. I'm assuming all the buildings are long gone, but are there any remnants visible (foundations, etc)?

Surprising too that the gross ton-miles held fairly firm on the line from the end of WWII until the St John port traffic evaporated in the mid-80s. (1980 was actually the best year since 1945.) I would have expected more of a steady decline in that period. Any ideas on what the combined gross ton-miles are for the old CP lines in Maine today?
 #609989  by calaisbranch

Dick,

I went onto ronsbooks.com and found the book......along with about 10 others I want! :-) Thanks for the link. Can't believe I've never been on that site.

SLR393,

Yeah, WOW! Nice jacket

http://www.railwaypages.com/index.php?=2&id=26
Click on "Whats New" and scroll down about 3/4 of the page
The picture and links to thumbnails and order forms are there too

The thumbnails rock

Jeff