Railroad Forums 

• NEW BOOK: "Historic Rails of the NYS&W"

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#737032  by rcbsd45

I have just had the pleasure of making my first "exploration" through a new book on the NYS&W, "Historic Rails Of The New York, Susquehanna & Western Railroad", authored by Jim Schmitt. This is a book definitely worth checking out. The soft cover, spiral bound 234 page book contains maps of the NYS&W RR, from Edgewater NJ to the PA State line at the Delaware River, MP 96.88(Measured from Jersey City, NJ). In addition to the main line, it contains maps of the Lodi, Passaic, Edgewater, Hanford and(little known) Delaware branches. these are drawings of the track diagram, with some local roads included, but what makes this book the gem that it is, in the listing of SO MANY online industries, some dating back to the late 1800's. There several black and white photographs included, along with a historical overview at the front of the book. This covers the ORIGINAL NYS&W, and it should be noted it does not include the L&HR between Sparta and Warwick.

Jim has gone through great pains to put this together, and being the "industrial archeologist"(I like that term!) that he is, he included some modern b/w photos of Paterson, and one of the Paterson City branch,which in all honesty, I thought had been completely eradicated from the face of the earth. While there isn't much text, the diagrams and dates are what make the book worth investigating. I would (not that my opinion matters much) highly recommend this book , and it would make a great additon to the collection of anyone interested in the layout and history of the Pre Delaware Otsego (and Pre-Irving Maidman)era(s).

The book can be found and ordered through the following site:

http://www.historicrailmaps.com/

I strongly recommend checking it out, and giving your support to Jim and his efforts by purchasing this book. you will not be disappointed!
 #747527  by Otto Vondrak

Otto Vondrak wrote:The map samples looked good to me! I'm looking forward to picking up a copy soon.
I just picked up a copy, will post a review of this book soon. The maps and information look great at first glance.
 #748005  by trainwayne1

Whether you are a modeler or historian, this book is filled with details that surely took a huge effort on the part of the author to put together. Going back and re-reading Bob Mahowski's book with this one along side as a reference is about as detailed of a look at the NYS&W as I've ever seen. Kudos to Mr. Schmitt for a great addition to NYS&W information.
 #748216  by cjvrr

thebigham wrote:This looks great!

Does it cover the line to Stroudsburg and Gravel Place?
No it does not. I will have to check again but I believe it stops at the Delaware River.

Overall a very good reference book and will be a good companion on some planned hikes this spring.
 #748452  by Otto Vondrak

trainwayne1 wrote:Whether you are a modeler or historian, this book is filled with details that surely took a huge effort on the part of the author to put together. Going back and re-reading Bob Mahowski's book with this one along side as a reference is about as detailed of a look at the NYS&W as I've ever seen. Kudos to Mr. Schmitt for a great addition to NYS&W information.
It is a great collection of maps and research regarding the "traditional" pre-DO NYS&W. I'm excited to review this book... as soon as I catch my breath!

-otto-
 #748631  by ottttopotomous

I am looking forward to your review Otto. I am thinking about ordering this book for my brother for Christmas. You should take a break for a day from posting on the site to read the book. :):) Will you be writing a review for Robert Bang's book, Forgotten Railroads Through Westchester County? After reading about the book on the author's website, I am looking forward to reading your review of it as well. I enjoy reading all of your reviews Otto!
 #750724  by Otto Vondrak

ottttopotomous wrote:Will you be writing a review for Robert Bang's book, Forgotten Railroads Through Westchester County?
I can't very well review my own book... but Chris D'Amato wrote a pretty good review for us:

http://www.nywbry.com/forgotten/rmc_review.php

Anyway, I hope to get to the NYSW book this week! Don't delay though, definitely order it.

-otto-