Railroad Forums 

• New Battery electric trains for Auckland,NZ

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1439054  by David Benton

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local- ... new-trains" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This line currenlty uses diesel shuttles , from Pukekohe to Papakura, where passengers change to electric trains to the city centre. The new battery lectric trains , will run all the way into the city centre.
The line was planned to be electrified in 2025, this proposal allows better service sooner.
 #1439106  by johnthefireman

Most things have a design life and need maintenance, replacement of spare parts, and eventually total replacement. This includes battery-powered devices. Also, battery technology is improving by leaps and bounds these days. But I doubt whether we'll ever see (or need) long-distance battery-powered express trains. I assume it will be used for shunters, branch lines, and perhaps "last mile" functions where a train needs to move a very short distance from the electrified main line into a non-electrified area
 #1439159  by george matthews

johnthefireman wrote:Most things have a design life and need maintenance, replacement of spare parts, and eventually total replacement. This includes battery-powered devices. Also, battery technology is improving by leaps and bounds these days. But I doubt whether we'll ever see (or need) long-distance battery-powered express trains. I assume it will be used for shunters, branch lines, and perhaps "last mile" functions where a train needs to move a very short distance from the electrified main line into a non-electrified area
It might be a solution for the Swansea problem - the government having cancelled the electrification from Cardiff. Their solution would be to have a diesel engine for the non-electrified portion; perhaps a battery electric solution could provide the power. Probably not though, as the batteries would likely be even heavier than the diesels.