Railroad Forums 

• NEW ALCO FOR WNY&P - Seminole Gulf C425 #550

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#411947  by Alcoman

The WNY&P will soon take delivery of former Seminole Gulf Alco C425 # 550.
The Alco has not been shipped yet due to a leaf spring that needs repair first.
It will go directly to Lakeville,New York for maintenance and repainting before going into service.

#412443  by thebigham

Great news, John.

Thanks,

Chris

#412636  by Alcoman

As I understand it Otto, the paint is fading so if you do see up in New York, better photograph quick as it is getting an overhaul and repanting in Lakeville before it goes to Olean. Yes; that's right Olean! Not Falconer. New engine terminal.

#412666  by pablo

When's it supposed to be in Olean? There's no facilities there...yet.

Dave Becker

#412833  by 5400

Looks like we're building a five track facility in Olean this winter or early spring.

#412845  by Luther Brefo

5400 wrote:Looks like we're building a five track facility in Olean this winter or early spring.
Nice to have you on the board, 5400.

:wink:

When a friend and I visited Olean Yard earlier this spring, there seemed to be only one yard engine on the premises although it seems that there was enough land to expand the facility a bit.

A five track engine terminal would certainly house the locomotives very nicely. If I recall, isn't Falconer two stubs at the moment with most of the engines parked outside?

#412887  by pablo

I knew that there was the thought to build something in Olean, but that's likely a year away. There is, indeed, quite a bit of space on which to build something.

Falconer is a two track stub with space for two units inside.

Dave Becker

#413351  by 5400

Yea, the problem in Falconer is that with the locomotives outside, they have to be kept on hot start all winter long. Figure more than a grand a month for the power to keep the hot start on one locomotive.

Once operations move to Olean, there will most likely be one job and only two engines in Falconer.

I believe the plan in Olean is to get all the power inside to avoid the high costs of hot start, and the higher costs of idling all winter long.

Personally, I am a big fan of conserving fuel whenever possible. It bothers me when I see a guy with two or three engines online and running to pull five cars. So I think it's a great idea to keep them all in a heated building where they don't need to idle excessively.

#414611  by CapnTomDrums

Ex-Seminole Gulf 550 left Fort Myers yesterday (6/22/07). Cab has WNYP stencil.

550 had the best looking paint of the bunch....it never got dirty, because it never got used!

A couple of years ago, Bay Colony (Seminole Gulf's sister road) bought a GP9 from Florida East Coast. The unit came to Ft Myers where SGLR chopped the nose and repainted it for BCLR. They shipped it north. CSX dragged the unit all the way to Massachusetts with the handbrake set. After CSX admitted fault, the unit was sent to the CSX shops for wheel replacement. CSX then dragged it back to BCLR...with the brake set again. Hope 550 gets better treatment.

#415419  by railwatcher

[quote="CapnTomDrums"]Ex-Seminole Gulf 550 left Fort Myers yesterday (6/22/07). Cab has WNYP stencil.

So how long does it take to get here?

#423116  by Alcoman

I just saw 550 in Selkirk 3:20pm Sunday 7/15/07. Still hooked up to power.
Should be leaving soon as brake test was done while I was there.
Alcoman

#423136  by Luther Brefo

Alcoman wrote:I just saw 550 in Selkirk 3:20pm Sunday 7/15/07. Still hooked up to power.
Should be leaving soon as brake test was done while I was there.
Alcoman
So close, I can almost smell it. I guess we'll know pretty soon if it is going to Lakeville or Cohocton.

#423191  by pablo

This is completely an assumption.

If it was headed via Selkirk, would it go to Cohocton? I would assume it would head west, and get dropped in Lakeville.

I know all rails could go anywhere they connect to, so of course it could go to Cohocton...but what would the likely routing be if it did go to Cohocton via Selkirk?

Dave Becker