Railroad Forums 

• New AEM-7's would go perfect with Amfleet release

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1246237  by acelaphillies

I was just thinking about the AEM-7 release. These days, anyone under 37 years old does not ever remember seeing a running GG1. That means that any NEC fan under 37 grew up with the AEM-7. When they last ran the AEM-7 14 years ago, this number was anyone under 23. Not a large modeling market, and not the ones with the money. Maybe it wasn't that the AEM-7's don't sell well, maybe they were just before their time for the first two runs??? Any Northeast modeler born within the last three decades doesn't have memories of the PRR, PC, EL, RDG, etc. If they want to model stuff that they see all around them it is Amtrak, NJT, SEPTA, etc. In the next few decades we may see that type of stuff becoming increasingly popular in the hobby.
 #1246284  by Backshophoss

IF the "fantasy" F-59phi's Athearn did a couple of years back are an indication, they sold well,
and would not look "out of place" as a "Heritage" unit in commuter service.
IF Atlas did their homework like NS did with their "Heritage Fleet",Atlas should do ok with them. :wink:
 #1246678  by B44NYC

acelaphillies wrote:I was just thinking about the AEM-7 release. These days, anyone under 37 years old does not ever remember seeing a running GG1. That means that any NEC fan under 37 grew up with the AEM-7. When they last ran the AEM-7 14 years ago, this number was anyone under 23. Not a large modeling market, and not the ones with the money. Maybe it wasn't that the AEM-7's don't sell well, maybe they were just before their time for the first two runs??? Any Northeast modeler born within the last three decades doesn't have memories of the PRR, PC, EL, RDG, etc. If they want to model stuff that they see all around them it is Amtrak, NJT, SEPTA, etc. In the next few decades we may see that type of stuff becoming increasingly popular in the hobby.

Those last 37 years don't bode well for a new SDP40F, or a P30CH, although a new Metroliner caught all us old Amtrak modellers off guard.
I have to admit one model I hope Atlas does tackle will be the ACS-64.
 #1246736  by ApproachMedium

I hope SOMEBODY tackles it. Seeing how the things have been transported across the country on two of the railroads big long haul trains, its a model that realistically can fit in many consists.

I dont have much hope though since we have had how many years of ALP46s around, and theres already almost exact models of them being made by many many HO manufactures in europe since the late 90s. Its very easy that an american company could pick the tooling up and modify it like MTH did and sell it here.