Railroad Forums 

• New Adirondack Scenic Thread (ADIX)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1403946  by Noel Weaver

I am a long way from the Adirondack and I really appreciate having an idea what's happening in beautiful UPSTATE New York. I hope everybody will have respect for each other and not force this one to go like the earlier one did. I do not really care about personal battles, they belong in the gutter. Thanks to the moderators and administrators who will try to keep this one open so those of us who like the railroad can continue to view the pictures and videos and keep in touch.
THANK YOU!!!
Noel Weaver
 #1403983  by Tony Goodwin

I am not the ARTA member who requested that this thread be opened. I do, however, think this a useful forum in which to exchange opinions about the economic viability of any ASR operations to Lake Placid. If those rail operations are not viable without a significant government subsidy, then I and ARTA believe this state-owned resource should be used as a trail until such very distant (if ever) time when rail transport from Utica to Lake Placid is again sustainable.

I don't believe that any of my posts have ever attacked any rail supporter personally. Please return this sentiment so that this thread isn't again shut down. I take no responsibility for any Facebook posts, so don't make me guilty by association with any trail supporters posting there.

Apparently both sides of the debate have at times banned posters. All I know is that rail supporters have been banned for repeatedly posting that there can be both rail and a trail. That notion was effectively demolished by about 15 pages of maps and comments by the DEC in the UMP revision. The trail supporters supposed "engineered drawings" only bypassed a portion of the drainages and carried no cost estimates for these rather elaborate structures.

Today I attended a conference in Lake Placid on the issue of sustainabililty in the North Country. One issue was that the North Country'a greatest "export" is its children. This is not good. A slow-moving train is not going to keep or attract young families to the area. A trail they can use anytime will. "Millenials" are our future market for tourists. They, likewise, will not be attracted to a train they can ride but instead a facility where they can actively participate.
 #1403990  by greenwichlirr

JoeBas wrote:So the thread is closed because of people feeding trolls, then reopened because the trolls got hungry? Mkay. *gets popcorn*
Um, yeah...my thoughts exactly. I'm not posting this to argue but this seriously is turning into the Twilight Zone. One thing Hope Frenette doesn't apparently realize is that while I can't see her postings if she has blocked me, all I have to do it literally sign out, and boom...there are the posts.

The fact that ARTA members asked for this to be reopened means there is some serious trolling going on here. I'm bowing out for now.

And by the way, Hope....it wasn't me that got it locked the second time, but I guess that's just another false statement from your side.

I'm bowing out for now. I enjoy this forum too much to be (no pun intended) railroaded by these low-lifes into being banned.
 #1404003  by Noel Weaver

I have not accused anybody of anything. Those in charge here know the guilty ones here. I just want to be able to continue to keep up with what is happening here.
Thank you
Noel Weaver
 #1404121  by Jeff Smith

I've unlocked it. The role and goal of railroad.net is not to discourage conversation about railroads. This is a real operating scenic railroad. I want to discuss it, and share pictures such as these:

http://yonkersrails.zenfolio.com/photoo ... #h29857575" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, the goal of railroad.net is not to discuss nor advocate converting Active rails to trails. Sure, we'll talk about trails like the trail over the former Putnam ROW, the High Line in NYC, etc. We'll talk about trails like the one over the old Maybrook, and the one north of Wassaic on old Central territory.

Thank you all for reminding us of that. Even if you didn't mean too :wink: I'll have to say that screen cap of Hope Frenette's post on shutting down our thread was eye opening. So Chip, you can pass along, and she can read here, that she did not succeed, nor was it your fault. As I track the thread, you were only responding to the trail advocates.

I don't know, at least outside of here, any of the players in this mess. I neither like nor dislike them. The finer points of rail vs. trail have been argued here ad nauseum. I've let Tony respond to previous arguments out of a sense of fair play. Now, ARTA wants to continue to hammer their point here. I'm tired of being played. I'm sorry, I'm done with it; fellow admin John is done with it. I'm sure Otto's done with it as moderator.

Final point: this site advocates for railroads. You want to advocate ripping up rails for a trail? You've got your own site to do that.

Therefore, the easiest thing to do is create these guidelines:

-Discussion of the operation of the Adirondack Scenic is permitted (duh?)
-Discussion of news developments concerning conversion to trails is permitted (but keep the ad hominem or hyperbole' out as much as possible)
-Arguments about rail vs. trail are out. We know we want rails here. I don't want to have to provide a forum for rebuttals. They've got their site. They censor my members? They can play on their site all they want.

So have fun please talk about the railroad and not the trail advocates. Promote the railroad. Let them promote the trail, and stop giving them ammo or a forum.
 #1404138  by greenwichlirr

Jeff Smith wrote:I'll have to say that screen cap of Hope Frenette's post on shutting down our thread was eye opening. So Chip, you can pass along, and she can read here, that she did not succeed, nor was it your fault.
Pass it along? How? She banned me, remember? :-D :-D :wink: :wink:

Seriously, though....thanks for the clean up work you guys have been doing, and yes....I will take SOME responsibility for it. I guess it's just coincidental timing that I'm just so tired of it all. They have proven time and time again that the facts will get distorted to their own advantage no matter at what cost, and yes, I'm talking about ALL members--here, Facebook, etc.. One can't be a founder or sit on the board of an organization and push their agenda, only to turn around and lay claim that other board members all of a sudden "don't speak" for said board member or founder. that's either a sign of massive trolling, or a board of directors so disenchanted with their own idiocy that one simply has no idea what another is saying. "What a way to run a rail trail!"

It's bedtime here, and I have to be up for work in five hours. Why am I still typing? :wink:

Just to hit home that they were indeed watching here and playing us all, here is the posting again (after I logged out so I could see it), and it contained a nice little current update. No words needed....

Thanks again, Jeff (and John and Otto!)
 #1404140  by greenwichlirr

Final thought as I hit send prematurely:

It's good to say that at least they also lie through their teeth to their own:
Capture.JPG
I dunno, Jimbo......I think we got ya on this one!

viewtopic.php?f=128&t=39514&p=413910&hi ... ey#p413910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Goodnight Moon.....Goodnight all!)
 #1404147  by Noel Weaver

Jeff Smith wrote:I've unlocked it. The role and goal of railroad.net is not to discourage conversation about railroads. This is a real operating scenic railroad. I want to discuss it, and share pictures such as these:

http://yonkersrails.zenfolio.com/photoo ... #h29857575" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, the goal of railroad.net is not to discuss nor advocate converting Active rails to trails. Sure, we'll talk about trails like the trail over the former Putnam ROW, the High Line in NYC, etc. We'll talk about trails like the one over the old Maybrook, and the one north of Wassaic on old Central territory.

Thank you all for reminding us of that. Even if you didn't mean too :wink: I'll have to say that screen cap of Hope Frenette's post on shutting down our thread was eye opening. So Chip, you can pass along, and she can read here, that she did not succeed, nor was it your fault. As I track the thread, you were only responding to the trail advocates.

I don't know, at least outside of here, any of the players in this mess. I neither like nor dislike them. The finer points of rail vs. trail have been argued here ad nauseum. I've let Tony respond to previous arguments out of a sense of fair play. Now, ARTA wants to continue to hammer their point here. I'm tired of being played. I'm sorry, I'm done with it; fellow admin John is done with it. I'm sure Otto's done with it as moderator.

Final point: this site advocates for railroads. You want to advocate ripping up rails for a trail? You've got your own site to do that.

Therefore, the easiest thing to do is create these guidelines:

-Discussion of the operation of the Adirondack Scenic is permitted (duh?)
-Discussion of news developments concerning conversion to trails is permitted (but keep the ad hominem or hyperbole' out as much as possible)
-Arguments about rail vs. trail are out. We know we want rails here. I don't want to have to provide a forum for rebuttals. They've got their site. They censor my members? They can play on their site all they want.

So have fun please talk about the railroad and not the trail advocates. Promote the railroad. Let them promote the trail, and stop giving them ammo or a forum.
THANK YOU!! very much for this one. I am sure it is not easy.
Noel Weaver
 #1404148  by charlie6017

Noel Weaver wrote: THANK YOU!! very much for this one. I am sure it is not easy.
Noel Weaver
I'd like to echo Mr. Weaver's sentiments, thank you. We don't need the nonsense. And Noel, glad you seem to
be doing okay down there, with the hurricane and all. :wink:

Charlie
 #1404486  by Otto Vondrak

John_Perkowski wrote:Otto, contact Jeff please. LOCKED.
LOL, lock, unlock, lock, unlock, I don't even know what goes on in my own forum anymore. Everytime I show up, something different. :-)

-otto-
 #1405062  by ut-1

Yesterday's Utica-Thendara train passes a waterfall in Remsen at 12:21 pm.
Attachments:
Chase 2.JPG
Chase 2.JPG (304.71 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
 #1405086  by ut-1

Thanks Charlie!

Here's a better pic, taken this morning, from a different position:
Attachments:
Waterfalls 1.JPG
Waterfalls 1.JPG (223.67 KiB) Viewed 3879 times
 #1405092  by Jeff Smith

Otto Vondrak wrote:
John_Perkowski wrote:Otto, contact Jeff please. LOCKED.
LOL, lock, unlock, lock, unlock, I don't even know what goes on in my own forum anymore. Everytime I show up, something different. :-)

-otto-
Otto, you remember how it was pre-me I'm sure!