Railroad Forums 

• New Adirondack Scenic Thread (ADIX)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1472396  by Otto Vondrak

eehiv wrote:Now that the state has declined to appeal Judge Main's ruling:

http://www.uticaod.com/news/20180424/st ... oad-ruling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will trains run from Saranac Lake to Lake Placid this year?

EH
You'll note the state is under no obligation to name an operator or issue permits for any segment of the rail corridor... I wouldn't be surprised if the Lake Placid rails remained idle just out of spite, even if ARPS wins every challenge, legal or otherwise.

-otto-
 #1473341  by CRail

“Stopped is better than backwards” -Fat Caz

Keeping the tracks there is the end goal this round. Political climates change and rehab cash can be sought later. It’s much harder to refurbish track that’s torn up and and replaced by a multi-million dollar ROW repurposing.
 #1476588  by CP4743

Are the schedules for this summer drastically cut back? I heard that there are no runs to Big Moose and limited local service out of Thendara. Any one know why the cutbacks?
 #1476607  by jurtz

Looking at the website, there are no Big Moose trains on the schedule for this summer, but they resume in the fall. Other than that, the summer schedule looks pretty much the same as last year: Thursday/ Saturday trains Utica to Thendara, Utica wine/ beer and Soda Fountain trains, twice daily locals out of Thendara five days a week, Wednesday to Sunday, and some evening haunted history trains out of Thendara as well. I wouldn't categorize that as "drastically cut back."
 #1476624  by tree68

I've heard talk of a 10 AM trip to Otter Lake. Obviously, if it's not on the website, it's not reality, yet.
 #1481780  by rhallock

ADIX has taken over the rail bike franchise from Lake Clear Jct. to Saranac Lake, according to their press release dated August 2nd.
"The Adirondack Scenic Railroad plans to expand its presence with the launch of a much-anticipated rail bike operation in the very near future", said Bill Branson, President of the Railroad.
Officials of the Adirondack Scenic Railroad tested the first four-seat prototype of the new rail bikes with a ride from Charlie's Inn at Lake Clear Junction to Saranac Lake Depot. The bike performed flawlessly.
"We are looking forward to beginning production of the finalized version of the bike and starting business. We have a few cosmetic changes to make, but otherwise, everything looks great", said Jack Roberson, Executive Director of the Adirondack Scenic Railroad."

Adirondack Scenic Railroad
 #1507855  by b&m 1566

What's the deal with Lake Placid? Has the railroad sought to restore service? I would hate to see the legal battle be all for nothing, even though they technically won.
 #1520443  by tree68

b&m 1566 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:00 pm What's the deal with Lake Placid? Has the railroad sought to restore service? I would hate to see the legal battle be all for nothing, even though they technically won.
The well funded "trail advocates" haven't given up. And they appear to have the current administration's ear.

Remember that they originally called for the tracks to come up all the way to Big Moose. Some want that to happen all the way to Remsen. They may have lost a battle, but they still want to win the war.