• New Adirondack Scenic Thread (ADIX)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

• 285 posts
  by greenwichlirr

I would LOVE to know Good Sir Tony's opinion on his fellow board member and his loving thoughts on the state agencies presented in this video.....you don't need an actual Facebook account to watch it.

How about it, Goodwin? How does the rest of the ARTA board feel about your own board member biting the hand that feeds you?

https://www.facebook.com/chip.ordway/vi ... 705517427/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ut-1

1502 leads its train northbound in Trenton yesterday morning 10:16. Track speed here is 30 MPH.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Tony Goodwin

Jim McCulley has dealt with the DEC on a variety of issues. The interview was not about the rail/trail debate. As a member of ARTA board he has consistently supported the policy that the ARTA board has approved. I have nothing more to say.
  by greenwichlirr

Ah, OK. Thanks for clearing it up for me. The way I thought I saw it, it could have gone two different ways: If an the aforementioned ARTA board member disagrees with an organization, then the organization from where the disagreement originates has "no principles", they are "morally bankrupt", they are "ethically challenged", and they "have no soul". but if that same organization is utilizing questionable procedures to help to gain something that the very same ARTA board member actually wants for himself and his little buddies, then the organization is basically A.O.K. in his book........

Or..........

There are two completely different agencies utilizing the same acronym of the letters "D E C"--one which is once again quoted as an "ethically challenged", "Morally bankrupt", and soul-less group of power hungry people continuously knocking Jim down in his quest for places to ride his snow-mobile, and the other is a fantastic NY State organization that is assisting ARTA in building the Shangri-la of rail trails that will "bring in half a million dollars a week".

I'm glad you cleared it up for me, Tony. you answered my question dead on exactly as I thought you would. My confusion has been lessened. To think that I was dumb and naive enough to think there was some kind of double standard going on here. Dumb-ass me.
  by oibu

^^^ heh, yeah.

Boy that Kool-Aid is refreshing and tasty, ain't it??
  by greenwichlirr

If you seriously think that Jim McCulley, with his daily, stalker-like ritual of snapping pics of the Lake Placid Depot Parking lot, is the type of person that Goodwin, Keet, etc. would have ANYTHING to do with if they weren't using him in a pawn like way, then yeah....you must be drinking from the same Kool-Aid pitcher. If the case falls through and the tracks come out, then Jimmy and all of his other snowmobile buddies are gonna be the NEXT target. It will trickle down until NO ONE is using the causeway over Lake Colby except for an occasional red squirrel.

The court date is tomorrow and I haven't heard about it being pushed back again, so grab your popcorn......
  by tree68

greenwichlirr wrote:It will trickle down until NO ONE is using the causeway over Lake Colby except for an occasional red squirrel.
I've come to the conclusion that Mr Keet's next goal will be to have the causeway completely removed from his lake...
greenwichlirr wrote:The court date is tomorrow and I haven't heard about it being pushed back again, so grab your popcorn......
It did get pushed back...
  by rhallock

I'm just curious as to the subject of the court case that you said had been postponed.
  by greenwichlirr

Well isn't *this* special?

So, Tony...if you're still here and willing to answer a question--answer me this:

If the State had gone about this the proper way and not speed-laned it through against processes and rules which were obviously blatantly disregarded, don't you think this little tasty morsel would have been discovered a long, long time ago?

Come on, Tony......would love to hear from ya! What's Lee's take on this?

Rail suit hearing postponed
Questions arise over ownership of rail corridor

September 29, 2016
By JUSTIN A. LEVINE - Outdoors Writer ([email protected]) , Adirondack Daily Enterprise
Save |
MALONE -A hearing on the lawsuit filed by the Adirondack Rail Preservation Society against the state Adirondack Park Agency and departments of Environmental Conservation and Transportation has been postponed from Wednesday until Nov. 2 at 10:30 a.m. The hearing will be held at the county court house in Malone.

The lawsuit, which challenges the DEC and DOT plan to turn 34 miles of rail corridor between Tupper Lake and Lake Placid into a multi-use trail, was filed earlier this summer. The Rail Preservation Society is the parent company of the Adirondack Scenic Railroad which operates tourist trains between Saranac Lake and Lake Placid.

The lawsuit was filed in state Supreme Court in Franklin County and will be heard by the honorable Judge Main.

The suit alleges that DEC, DOT and the APA failed to account for historic preservation and land use laws. Originally, DOT was not included as a defendant in the suit, but ARPS amended the lawsuit in July to include the DOT. DOT maintains jurisdictional oversight of the corridor, which stretches from Lake Placid to Old Forge.

The court clerk in Malone did not give a reason for the delay, but a press release issued by ARPS Thursday morning says that the state asked for the delay "because the Department of Transportation discovered that the State does not own fee title to all of property constituting the Remsen-Lake Placid Travel Corridor.

"Bill Branson, President of the Adirondack Railroad, questioned how the State was able to approve the UMP, which calls for the removal of the track along a portion of the Corridor in favor of the construction of a recreational trail, without being aware of these title issues."
  by Tony Goodwin

Since I was asked to respond, I will. Up until now, DOT and DEC had publicly maintained that the 1974 acquisition of the Corridor was done via eminent domain and that the state owned the whole thing. For now, however, it appears that there are maybe three parcels where the ownership is in question.

One is the Lake Placid Historical Society which owns some portion of the rail yard in Lake Placid. Their deed is apparently quite complicated, but I have met with that organization, and they eagerly anticipate the Corridor becoming a trail.

The second parcel is apparently part of NCCC in Saranac Lake. Again, NCCC has always supported the trail. No students ride the train, but many would take advantage of a trail running through the campus.

The third parcel is apparently a private parcel south of Tupper Lake. That will have no bearing on the creation of a trail between Lake Placid and Tupper Lake.
  by oibu

if in fact the Lake Placid HISTORICAL Society supports the bulldozing of the town's HISTORY, it would certainly clarify just how this boondoggle has gotten as far along as it has.

"We'd better get those old eyesore, under-utilized Olympic facilities toppled while there's still time to build a SuperWalmart too. Them city people will just flock in from all over to see that! Then, after their McDonalds lunch, they can walk 100 feet on the new trail, chuck their empty burger wrapper in the weeds, and get in their car to find a restroom before the long drive back to Manhattan. Yepper."
  by greenwichlirr

Seriously, Tony? NCCC has what is essentially two grade crossings worth of railroad running 'through' their campus. What are we talking...a hundred feet or so? Maybe 200? Do you realize how silly that statement sounds when presented with the facts? "Taking advantage of a trail running through their campus" essentially means walking from one end of the parking lot to the other.

As for the LPHS, I concur with the above poster.....the idea of a bonafied Historical Society bulldozing history doesn't exactly help your case withany clear thinking logical person.
  by Tony Goodwin

The comment regarding NCCC is what is truly ridiculous. NCCC students would use the trail on either side of the campus and not just the length of the campus.

As for the Lake Placid Historical Society, they have preserved the station and their exhibits celebrate the people who used the station and the railroad to help create the town as it now exists. There is nothing particularly historic about the rails and ties. Nor is there much relevance to the current engine and cars that date from the time when there was no longer any need for rail service (passenger or freight) to Lake Placid. As the starting point for a trail, however, that station area will see far more visitors on an annual basis than now go there to ride the train. That's why the Historical Society favors a trail.
  by charlie6017

ut-1 wrote:1502 leads its train northbound in Trenton yesterday morning 10:16. Track speed here is 30 MPH.
Nice shot! I'm looking forward to seeing more photos and less nonsensical bickering, especially since the leaves are turning up there.

Charlie