Railroad Forums 

• New 4449 pic site going up...come visit!

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#127495  by jmp883

Thanks for the great pictures of a truly great steam engine. Not only is the 4449 the most celebrated steam engine in US rail history, but the GS-4 class of engines were probably the best looking steam engines ever made (although the NKP Berkshires run a close 2nd). It was such a shame when BNSF painted her black. She looks so good back in her SP Daylight colors.

Can't wait to see the rest of the pics....I just wished I lived on the left coast so I could see her in person! :-D

#127503  by jmp883

I forgot about the SP&S #700. I recently purchased the Pentrex DVD that documented her run between Vancouver and Spokane, WA back in 2001. She's another beautiful engine and I'm glad to see she's back under steam. The volunteers who put the time and effort into restoring her can be justifiably proud of their accomplishment.

Even from the DVD I got chills as the 700 passed the cameras at full speed, whistle blowing. Of course, the experience was highlighted by a large computer monitor and an excellent set of speakers with a subwoofer! Still, there is something about a steam engine that gets me.........

Of course I've been trackside when a diesel powered train goes thundering by and there is nothing like that experience either! I guess I'm just a hopelessly addicted railfan....but then in the grand scheme of things that's not so bad!

:wink:

#128423  by billc_sbio

Joe,

How'd you like to help me identify some of the components on some of these steam engines for me?

I'm not that familiar with the fine details of steam locomotive operation, and this set of pics I just took is in much more detail than most I've taken before.

If you would be willing to help out, please e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks.