Railroad Forums 

• Nevada Northern Railway in Trouble?

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#125346  by Christian S.

Hi everyone,

I recently got this email from Mark Bassett, Executive Director of the Nevada Northern Railway. I presume he knew my (and others')email address from when I ordered a brochure from the museum a few weeks ago. It goes like this:

Hi all

The Nevada Northern Railway Museum needs your help. This session of the legislature is beginning to wind down and our bill, AB 424 is before the Assembly Ways and Means Committee but it is not on the agenda for a hearing. Without committee action the bill will die. The railroad and I need your help, now!

This is what you can do to help. Write a short note on the importance of the railroad and why the state needs to support us. My note to the committee members is below. Feel free to pick and choose from my remarks. Please rewrite the key points in your words. Or do your own message on either the good (how well preserved we are) or the bad (how you had to stand in line to use the bathroom or had to walk two blocks to use one.)

The go to the following webpage: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/73rd/committ ... ees/WM.cfm

This is a listing of all of the members of the Assembly Ways and Means Committee. All of the committee member’s names are in blue. If you click on their names you will be transferred to a new page that will provide the members e-mail address in blue. Click on the email address and your computer should automatically open an e-mail window. Then go to your message and using your copy command, copy your message in the e-mail window. And then hit send. Then you can hit your back button and click on the next person and so on and so forth.

I need you to do this today. It will take you about 10 minutes. By taking this ten minutes now, we may have water, sewer, fencing, lights and paving next year. If you need anymore information don’t hesitate to contact me. Please do this even if you are not living in Nevada. I spoke with the bill’s sponsor and he stressed what we need are numbers. As an out-of-stater you still support this Nevada treasure and your voice is important. As the bill moves forward, I will keep you informed.

My note to the Ways and Means Committee Members

Dear Mr. (or Ms) ,

I am writing you to ask for your assistance in getting Assembly Bill 424 on the agenda for a hearing before the Ways and Means Committee. AB 424 is a one time appropriation of $800,000 to the Nevada Northern Railway Museum.

This critical request is for public safety improvements. The museum is caught in a classic squeeze play. We are growing and successfully attracting more visitors to this National Historic District; but we are overwhelming the existing physical plant. We need basic public amenities such as water and sewer, lighting, fencing and paving. The money is also for basic track repair and building maintenance.

This museum of Nevada’s history covers 56 acres and is a National Historic District. There are 54 buildings and structures, 30 miles of track, 3 original steam locomotives, 5 original diesel locomotives, and 60 pieces of original equipment that need to be improved, maintained and repaired continually. All of this is the museum’s responsibility to protect. This historic treasure is perhaps the best preserved historic railroad in the United States. However, in order to maintain and preserve this vast museum approximately $3.8 million is needed for Building and Grounds and $2.5 million for locomotives, rolling stock and track needs. The focus of this Legislative request focuses on the following public safety issues:

Water and Sewer Improvements $235,000.00

Track Repair 175,000.00

Lighting, Paving, Fencing 91,000.00

Crew Dormitory 65,000.00

Master Mechanic/Warehouse 234,000.00

Total Request $800,000.00

The museum has worked hard to maintain and improve the facility. We have been successful in keeping the steam locomotives in operation along with the historic passenger cars. We have also worked on the buildings and the track. But as we prepare for our Centennial of the railroad in 2006, the basic vital repairs needed for public safety are beyond our capabilities.

Can you imagine a non-profit organization being responsible for 30 miles of a state highway and supplying the needs of a small town? That is what the museum is doing. Where we are undaunted by our responsibilities and we are working towards self-sufficiency, we do need immediate help. This is why AB 424 is essential to the museum; it addresses these public safety needs so we can showcase this Nevada National Historic District to the public on its Centennial.

I would appreciate your help and support in getting AB 424 on the agenda of the Ways and Means committee. Passage of this bill will get us one step closer in preserving and developing this Nevada treasure for future generations.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark Bassett
Executive Director
Nevada Northern Railway
1100 Avenue A, PO Box 150040
Ely, NV 89315
(775) 289-2085 x7 (Days)
(775) 289-6284 (fax)
www.nnry.com

Any truth to this? Seems funny he would go emailing people instead of asking for help on their website first. I just want to be extra sure before I do anything. :wink:

Thank you,
Christian S.

#125711  by espee

I have emailed the NNRy and am anxiously waiting a reply. I didn't see anything in the online edition of the Ely newspaper, either.