Railroad Forums 

• Nevada Northern #40 Baldwin

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#73783  by Tom Smith

Please forgive me if I am not using the proper edicate for this forum, it is my first time here.
I stumbled in here while searching for a picture of the Nevada Northern #40 while it was on the turntable at the Baldwin Locomotive Works and ready for delivery.
I know this photo exists because I have seen it.
I would be very grateful for any help.
Thanks,
Tom Smith

#74401  by hankadam

WELCOME ABOARD - - - The photo collection of BLW & BLH exists, in fine fashion, at the RAILROAD MUSEUM of PENNSYLVANIA. They are at Strasburg, PA 17579. (I have an ancient catalogue with no telephone or, heaven forbid, an e-mail address). But, if the negative exists, they can/will provide a copy (for a fee) and be glad to do it. They have done a great job of preserving priceless BLW and BLH records. All the best, Hank Rentschler

#74416  by Tom Smith

Thank you for the welcome!
I will check the leads you have provided and let you know what I find. Most grateful for the help. :-D
I was searching all day today and spent time at my local library where I thought the book was that had the photo. No luck there yet.
Tom

#75936  by Tom Smith

Hank,
I sent an e-mail to the museum and received a reply telling me that because of the amount of requests ththey receive I had to send a request by snail-mail and that their response time may be somewhat long.
I sent the request as directed and now I will settle back for a long winter's nap. :wink:
In the mean time I did find a photo-copy of the picture which tells me that it was not just my imagination. :-D
I sent it to the Nevada Northern Museum and hope to follow that by the original if it becomes possible.
Thanks again,
Tom

#76215  by hankadam

Hey - - - Let us all know if, and when, you find photo. RR Museum is under some severe budget restraints, but let's face it they make money from that unique photo collection. Push them for an answer - you deserve better. Through my auspices, on two occasions, I donated all the BALDWIN drawings, in our possesion, to the Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission and helped preserve part of this unique collection. Earliest drawings go back to 1876, three years before the light bulb was invented! Good luck, Hank

#76759  by Tom Smith

Hank,

I received a reply from the Museum in Strasburg and they found the negative. I also found that the Nevada Northern does not have that photo of their famed locomotive, "The Old Ghost Train of East Ely".
I ordered one for myself and one for the Museum in Ely, Nevada.

#40 is currently undergoing another rebuild and this might have some influence.

Merry Christmas and
A big Thank You from all,
Tom Smith

#88989  by Tom Smith

Hi Hank,
I received the photo of #40 today. I checked with the museum in East Ely and they did also.
Thanks again for your help,
Tom