Railroad Forums 

• Need two copies of "The Snowflaker" book

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#60572  by Otto Vondrak

I am looking for two copies, in good condition, of The Snowflaker, which I understand is a collection of stories by an NYC worked who was in the Rochester area for most of his career. One copy is for me, one is for a friend. If someone knows where they can locate a copy, please contact me off-list (you can send me a PM by clicking on the button below).

-otto-

#60770  by BR&P

At one time I believe the NRHS had some but don't know if they're sold out. It's a very interesting book and Kachler captured much valuable information. However in my opinion it is very poorly laid out. The book is divided into chapters, but the chapters are not named and in many cases anecdotes in a given chapter range all over the place, from stories of a freight run to Buffalo, to activity at the model railroad club. His stories are not dated and are sometimes lacking in a few small details which would make a big difference in readability. A better map would not hurt either.

Don't let this stop you from getting the book if you are interested in the NYC around Rochester. What's lacking in polish is more than made up for in content. Some rare glimpses of how it used to be!

#60774  by CRHauf

BR&P,

You are correct. The Rochester Chapter NRHS used to sell this book, however, we have not been able to get copies of it for several years and do not have any more copies in stock.

We wish we could get more as it was a neat book and a pretty decent seller.

I do believe we have a copy or two at the Rochester Chapter's library in Webster which can be referenced if needed.

Until later,
Chris

#60840  by Otto Vondrak

Found some information from another member:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... 3B6tEiDA3r

The Snowflaker, by Bill Kachler
ISBN: 1-880365-38-3 $16.95 available from:

PROFESSIONAL PRESS
PO Box 4371
Chapel Hill, NC 27515
Phone 1.800.277.8960 or 919.942.8020
Fax 919.942.3094

-otto-

#60843  by CRHauf

Otto,

Please let us know if you succeed in getting copies. I had found a similar link a year or so back to the current publisher and after talking to them, it turned out the book was simply out of print and unavailable. However, we have not looked recently and maybe things have changed.

Thanks!

Until later,
Chris