Railroad Forums 

• Need radio freqs for Amtrak trip SYR-NYP

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#57618  by TAMR213

Hi everyone. This thursday I will be taking an Empire Service train to Syracuse from NYP, and back on columbus day. I was wondering what Frequencies I should be listening to on my scanner for the trip all the way from NYP to Cuse? Before NYP, I already have the NEC in my scanner, but need freq.'s for the rest of the trip. Also, I would appriciate the frequencies for lines in the Syracuse area, Esspecially the lines that are visible from the Syracuse Race track, the "Moody Mile". Thanks for any help, and I really can't wait.

#57771  by O-6-O

Amtrak road freq is 160.800mhz
NYS&W northern div. are 161.295 and 160.620
In Utica the MA&N is on 160.470, 160.920, 161.280 and 161.460

Enjoy your trip

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-

#57782  by clearblock

Road and Dispatcher frequencies for your trip:

Syracuse to Amsterdam CSX ND 160.800
Amsterdam to Poughkeepsie CSX NC 161.070
Poughkeepsie to Spuyten Duyvil Metro North Hudson 160.950

I am not sure if the AMTK West Side Connection from Spuyten Duyvil to NYP is 160.920 like the NEC or it has another frequency. Maybe someone from the NYC area can help with that one.

#57804  by TAMR213

Thanks! Does anyone know what lines are visible from the race track, and what frequencies I should be listening to for them?

#57807  by clearblock

The CSX main runs right behind the NY State Fair track grandstand and the frequency is 160.800. The CSX Baldwinsville Secondary (not very active) runs by the front gate of the Fairgrounds and the frequency is 161.070.

The Fingerlakes RR is nearby to the south of the CSX right of way and the NYS&W connection is off a little way to the east but I dont think either is visible from the Fairgrounds.

NYS&W frequencies are 160.620 and 161.295. I am not sure which FGLK frequencies are used at Syracuse but you can try 160.740 and 161.520.

#57834  by TAMR213

Thank you SO MUCH!

#57853  by Otto Vondrak

Based on prior experience, if you're on the train, you won't hear any other action other than CSX and Amtrak. The other operations are too far away to pick up... unless the Syracuse OnTrack is running that day, you might hear the NYSW crews...

-otto-

#57861  by TAMR213

Thats fine with me. While I'm on the train, I'm only really interested in things that are happening around the train, and the Line the train is on. ANd while at the track, I'm really only interested in the Lines adjacent to the track, so I know when to turn my attention away from the track, and turn it towards the tracks.

#57942  by SRS125

161.130 Maintaince of Way channel

#58180  by CP169

You might want to get Metro North freq. too as you'll be travelling on their tracks from Poughkeepsie to Spuyten Devil or whatever it is. Sorry, I just noticed there's a previous reply about Metro North from clearblock. Anyway, I think there's a detector just east of the fairgrounds around CP293. After rereading your post, I don't think you'll be going by the fair. The fair is between CP 293 and 296. The Amtrak station in Syracuse is nearer to CP291.

#58355  by TAMR213

I will be going by the fairgrounds, infact, the race track is on the fairgrounds. Thanks for the heads up about the detector! How far out is the nearest detector west?

#58389  by O-6-O

TAMR: HI, by any chance are you going to super dirt week. I know thats
going on at the fairgrounds this month. Be in touch.
BRETT HEARN for president.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo-oo-

#58411  by TAMR213

Yep, will be at Super Dirt. Leaveing thursday. Coming back monday.

#58439  by CP169

There is a hotbox detector at Memphis,NY MP 302. Nice thing is that it's about 50 ft. west of the grade crossing. 50 ft. or less east of the crossing are the 302 automatics. You can also see the signals of CP300(double crossover) easily. It's quite straight track out there.