Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#28068  by Otto Vondrak

I was wondering if anyone could help me find background on the trains that run between Saratoga and the Bronx over the CSX and Metro-North Hudson Lines.

- What at the train numbers? They have changed a few times over the years.

- When did the service start? Why did it start?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

#28207  by march hare

Best bet for info is to go to the Yahoo groups "Hudson River Rails" board. There are near-daily postings on this train's operations.

The idea was to establish some kind of competition into the NYC freight market following the dismemberment of Conrail. CP got rights in at that time, but traffic growth has been slow.

Best bet for seeing him in daylight is to go south on the Hudson Line and wait til the PM rush is over. He comes out shortly afterwards.

Gardiner Cross
Cripplebush Valley Models
"Great Looking Rocks, In Less Than A Million Years"
www.cripplebush.net

#31481  by Legio X

Check out the New York and Atlantic Railway's forum for info on operations into NYC.

#33408  by Otto Vondrak

I know when the CP/D&H train runs... I usually photograph it three times a week down in the area around Scarborough.... I was just looking for some historical background.

Here are some photos of the CP train along MN's Hudson Line:

http://www.railroad.net/photos/nycarea/index.php

-otto-