Railroad Forums 

• Need Help Locating a Railcar - CEFX 33502

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1026472  by mjbooch

Folks:

I would like to request the help of the members in a search for a railcar, CEFX 33502, which was last reported Arrrived in Transit on 5/10/2011 at 5:57 PM at Syracuse, NY on the NYSW. The car was supposed to have been switched by CSXT, coming from Watertown, NY and Massena, NY, to the NYSW with a final destination of Maywood, NJ. I have checked with both CSXT and NYSW and they both said they have searched for CEFX 33502 and it is not located on their lines.

I work for CIT Rail, the car owner, and I am reaching out for help from the members on behalf of my customer. Many of you know the various yards and sidings that CEFX 33502 may have been inadvertantly sent to and could be sitting and waiting for futther movement instructions. If in your travels you spot this car, I would appreciate it if you could report back with the current location of CEX 33502. A picture of the car would be terrific and would be an immense help in our search to locate this car. As information the car is a 52 ft. mill gondola with 5 ft. 6 in. high sides. Thanks very much for your help.

Mike Calabucci
 #1026500  by mjbooch

Charlie;

Thanks very much. I will put the same request under CSXT since this car could be on their lines in the Syracuse area as well. Appreciate any info that you or anyone else uncovers on CEFX 33502.

Mike
 #1026548  by Cactus Jack

Simply amazing that in this age of information and intelligence with AEI readers and computers, digitized switching and wheel reports, electronic interchange info and all that the car owner would have to resort to a railfan forum to find out actual physical location information. Just amazing !

Lets hope it turns up and someone from the Forum here gets the kudos.
 #1026620  by NYSW3022

Cactus Jack wrote:Simply amazing that in this age of information and intelligence with AEI readers and computers, digitized switching and wheel reports, electronic interchange info and all that the car owner would have to resort to a railfan forum to find out actual physical location information. Just amazing !

Lets hope it turns up and someone from the Forum here gets the kudos.
What's even more amazing is that with all that technology the original poster didn't see the sarcasm Charlie hit him with. I know I'll be scouring the southern division and calling in all sorts of personal favors, plus taking a day off of work to track this down.
 #1026717  by RussNelson

NYSW3022 wrote:I know I'll be scouring the southern division and calling in all sorts of personal favors, plus taking a day off of work to track this down.
You will? Wow! I was thinking of trespassing in the Norwood yard (which has all of two tracks, not counting the through track). I mean, it's all in a good cause, right?
 #1026894  by roadster

He states the last reported position was on NYSW at Syracuse, after the car came South from Massena on CSX. sounds like it was reported as exchanged by the CSX conductor on his electronic work tablet. Knowing how CSX routing would have gotten the car from Massena to NYSW interchange. I seriously dought it would be anywhere along the St.L. sub.. It would have come South on Q620, gone to Selkirk, and gotten humped. Then sent West on Q381 which originated in Selkirk at that time, and dropped in Dewitt, classified again by the Dewitt puller, and sent to the NYSW by Y221. I'd suspect it's stuck in a yard full of storage cars, such as Brooklyn. It's been missing for 9 months, so, propably not sitting in a consipcous place. AEI tags get knocked off on occasion, so the car would have had been manually read at classification. That's not terribly unusual. I'd look around NYSW yards for cars being stored long term or that Brooklyn yard. Have fun, be careful, and don't trespass.
 #1026981  by freightguy

I remember that car being in pool service for Gershow Recycling(Medford, NY) and also hauling dirt for Brookhaven Nat'l laboratory on Long Island. This was years ago. I'll let you know if I see on Long Island. Probably tucked away in some desolate area or siding obviously and hasn't been scanned in some time. They used to pass through NYNJ Rail which is the former NYRR cross harbor freight operation. Maybe it's caught in that Bermuda Triangle.

I understand your plight, but I must chuckle at this a bit as the marketing people were always having us ground pounders(conductors) searching for particular cars. One of the the downfalls of having a centralized operating structure vs clerks in field offices to track these sort of things.
 #1027060  by NYSW3022

sportsguy wrote:I should check there. That is no more than a 5 minute walk from where i live.
Good luck with your trespassing charge. Those cars are not easily accessible from public land. I still think there is more to this than meets the eye. I've never heard of a company that turns to a fan board to find their equipment.
 #1027076  by charlie6017

I think we're better off closing this one. Let's remember first things first, the
majority of us here are railfans with no authority to enter railroad property. Let's
leave this to the pros and owner of the railcar to figure out where this MIA car is
located.

Charlie