Railroad Forums 

• need help identifying this structure

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1608663  by steve coraggio

Enclosed is an image of a structure no longer in use. Photo taken August 23,2022 at NJ Transit Summit NJ Station on their Morris and Essex Line. The structure is close to the Summit Avenue Overpass above the Morris and Essex line.

Any help is greatly appreciated also when the Summit Station was built. Using for pictures of Summit Station on RRPA.
A post also on the Delaware , Lackawanna & Western forum. Thank you Steve Coraggio,[email protected]
 #1608671  by pumpers

I lived in Summit 50 or so years ago . If memory is right you are looking north from the east end of the eastbound platform. As noted there was a yard, for overnight layovers (some commuter service originated in Summit IIRC) and for interchange with the Raritan Valley RR south of the main on the other side of Summit Ave. and I assume the tower also took care of the switches for the platform access. Maybe also for P&D junction about a mile west.

The term “Hill Track” comes to mind, maybe for the layovers. Some memory fog, which I will blame on COVID.

Does anyone recall when everything was remoted?

It seems the “tower” lost its peaked roof along the way. http://www.trainweb.org/rahwayvalley/ro ... ttower.htm

Jim S

Is the Diner still there? Basically above the tower and across the street
 #1608697  by pumpers

Looking at the current NJT schedule, there still are quite a few inbound trains originating at Summit.
Does anyone know if any of them actually layover at night in Summit, or if they all spend the night at Dover (or elsewhere) to be serviced?
Jim S
I don't think I have been on a train in Summit since the early 70's (or the P&D since the mid 60's), for that matter. Last round trip to Summit to Hoboken was to watch the Knicks at the Garden (back when they were good!) Red Holzmann was coach and I still remember the starting 5. But I'll stop before I get too far off topic :(
 #1608707  by pdtrains

AFAIK.....all the 300/6300 series trains originating at Summit , are turns that actually originate at HOB or NYP.

I could be wrong....but never heard anything about summit layup yard being re-activated...
 #1608750  by pumpers

pdtrains wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:58 am AFAIK.....all the 300/6300 series trains originating at Summit , are turns that actually originate at HOB or NYP.

I could be wrong....but never heard anything about summit layup yard being re-activated...
Yes pd, that's almost certainly right for all but 1 or 2 trains. I see train 300 leaves Summit 5:08 AM inbound. I assume the consist (and crew?) are deadheading in early from Hoboken or Dover.