Railroad Forums 

• Need help identifying object

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#257596  by travis24

Could anyone help me identify this object. I can't figure out how to attach an image, but it is basically a concrete cube about 2'x2'x2' with a metal top that is chained and padlocked. I have no clue what it is so if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
[/img]
 #257609  by travis24

To clarify a little...

These objects are typically found on grade next to the RR bed.

#257612  by MEC407

You can't attach an image to your message, but you can certainly post a link to the photo if you upload it somewhere else, such as Photobucket or Flickr or one of the many other photo sharing sites. Then we can get a much better idea of what you're talking about. :wink:
 #257617  by travis24

Thanks for the tip. Hope this works...

#257660  by travis24

#257662  by MEC407

Hmm. I'm not sure what those are. Haven't seen anything similar up here in Maine. Hopefully somebody else on here will know. :-D
 #257664  by travis24

Thanks for taking time to check it out...

#257669  by BR&P

Looks like a battery box for a signal circuit, maybe? See if there are insulated joints nearby.

#258153  by FarmallBob

I agree with B&RP. It looks like a wayside battery box - essentially precast, open-top concrete box with a steel lid.

Around here these battery boxes ordinarily are sunk into the ground next to or behind wayside instrument cabinets. Only the top 10" or so of the battery box will show above ground. ...FB
 #258212  by travis24

Thanks for the suggestions! I really appreciate the input. It has been a big help to have at least some idea what these might be and to be sure they are related to the RR. I am documenting an abandoned RR corridor in FL.