Railroad Forums 

• NEED HELP IDENTIFYING A "MYSTERY" CAR

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#459741  by GOLDEN-ARM

While roaring through Brooklynn on Saturday, I passed a train on MT-2, with an unusual car in the consist. It was a 50 foot MP boxcar, white in color, but the car was only about 8 feet high, from floor to ceiling. It really stood out, due to it's lower roofline, but passing it on MT-1, doing 40 mph didn't allow for a picture, or even a chance to get the number. Car kind of reminded me of an old express car, pulled in PAX trains. Anyone know what this car was? THANKS :-D
 #510712  by UPLee

Sounds like a scale car.

#511493  by GOLDEN-ARM

Wasn't a scale car, as I stated, it was a boxcar, or express car, with a low roof line. (looked like a factory built car, and there should be no need for sliding doors, on a scale car) Unless someone has a picture, of a tiny MP boxcar, converted to a scale car. Thanks for responding, though

#511814  by Mike Walsh

the closest i can come to your description, which is as follows:

MoPac
approx 8ft tall
white (ish?)

this is what i found on railcarphotos

http://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetai ... toID=14838

that isnt white, but it might give you an idea of car type. I can't really explain the car though....

#514687  by dhaugh

If it's the car pictured, they used to use those hauling beer from Anheuser-Busch up to Minnesota. Don't know if they still use them anymore for that though...

#515666  by John_Perkowski

Watching manifests on the BNSF, I've recently seen some higher walled gons... both open, and with roofs.

Have you tried a yahoo groups search on the MoP? I know there is a Pullman based passenger car technical group which has lots of technical knowledge on it.

#515950  by GOLDEN-ARM

No, this was definately a boxcar. Might have been similar to the one in the link above, but it was white, not gray. Seems to be, it was slightly shorter than the one in the link as well. Hope to see it again. Thanks for the updates!!! :-D