Railroad Forums 

• Need help converting audio files for article

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#335806  by Otto Vondrak

An author sent us an audio casette of actual radio transmissions on his model railroad. I would like to convert them to mp3 audio to include along with the story. Does anyone have any suggestions? I no longer have a stereo with a line out, otherwise I would connect it to my Mac and record the audio that way... any help would be appreciated.

#336565  by Nukengineer

Otto,
I have several ideas, but dont know the equipment you do have, so here goes. If you manage to blow up your stereo or computer, please dont blame me - you do this at your own risk. I have personally used #1 to convert 'old' music tapes to CD.

1. If you have a simple tape recorder/ walkman, etc (or a headphone jack on the stereo). Radio shack sells stereo patch cords, you would most likely want the 1/8" male stereo plug to 1/8" male stereo plug type. Connect it between the device and the audio input on your computer. See WARNING below about volume control.

2. If you have a home theatre, detachable speakers on a stereo or such, use the same type of cable, but this time you will only want the 1/8" stereo jack on the computer end. The other end should be bare wires. The cables typically have a right wire, a left wire and a shielding jacket around both. The individual wires would get connected to the + side of the speaker (or red connection). The shielding 'wire' would get connected to the - or black connection. You will need a small jumper to connect both negative terminals. If the tape is mono vice stereo, just pick a side. WARNING - Your stereo can probably put out more power than your computer can take. start with the volume LOW (as in almost off) and gradually raise it until you get a signal or sound out of your computer. Popping, static, sparks and smoke are all bad thing and you should pull the plug if any of these things occur. Likewise, double check your connections so you dont short out your stereo and blow that up.

2a. Use the RCA jacks on the back of the stereo. Again Radioshack has a patch cord that goes from RCA to 1/8" stereo, it looks like a "Y". (Same WARNING above applies)

3. Play the tape in a quiet room into a microphone attached to your computer (this would result in low quality most likely)

#336632  by Otto Vondrak

I've done the walkman-to-Mac connection before. Maybe I just need to go downtown and buy a cheap tape player just for this project...

-otto-