Railroad Forums 

• Need 1921 Timetable info for returning WW1 soldier.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1598904  by 452 Card

On October 11, 1921 my cousin Lewis Swezey was returned to his hometown of Patchogue after being disenterred from France, shipped to the USA on the steamer "Wheaton", and moved from Hoboken to NYC, then via the LIRR. The info I received from the national archives have documents stating that he was sent out of NYC at 155PM to arrive in Patchogue, no arrival time given. One document has "via Pullman".
Can anyone provide me with period correct timetable/train number info as to the actual event that occurred? All the documents I received from the NA have no train info at all, just that he was shipped home via LIRR at 155PM from NYC.
He was received in PD by Undertaker O. W. Ruland.
Any help is well appreciated, this is going into the Patchogue Historical Society archives when the project is completed.
 #1599068  by RGlueck

Train 4846 leaves for Rockville Center at 1:45PM, Sundays. At 2:15PM Sundays for Valley Stream.
Weekdays: There is a Brooklyn train at 1:45PM.
Saturdays only, a 1:41PM to Floral Park.
1:33PM weekdays, train 952 to Mineola.
1:33PM train 238 to Ronkonkoma.

I can scan the TT for you, as it's broken into Montauk trains, Far Rockaway Trains, Greenport Trains and stations in between. Actually it's very interesting.
It really requires knowing where your fictional character is traveling to, rather than leaving from.
PM me if you care to.
 #1599401  by RGlueck

Unless you've seen the film "1917", the horror of WW1 is lost on most of us today. My great-Uncle died of a mustard gas attack, one week prior to the laying down of arms.
All loss and no gain.
 #1599633  by workextra

Sadly WW1 has no relevance to the younger generation today and with the boys from WW2 almost completely gone.
That too will soon become a distant memory.
Fortunately you got Folks such a as
https://www.memoirsofwwii.com/
Trying to document what they can while there is still/was time.

History repeats it’s self because WE DON’T LEARN FROM THE PAST.

Good luck on your search.