Railroad Forums 

• NAZI SOUTHERN?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1288514  by cockerhamsg

Because railroaders like to complain about everything under the sun. It doesn't matter what carrier you work for, the horror stories will be the same.
 #1288547  by Gadfly

cockerhamsg wrote:Because railroaders like to complain about everything under the sun. It doesn't matter what carrier you work for, the horror stories will be the same.
Are YOU a railroader, or a "kibbutzer"? :wink: Lessee..........first there would be the very lifestyle that *might* cause people to complain. It certainly isn't a "9 to 5" job with weekends off. Then there's the Extra Board where a reasonable life, expected by most people, is impossible. Then there's the disciplinary methods of the railroads that tends to be militaristic, archaic, and tends to create resentment rather than to build teams. It is, or its unintended (?) result is, a division between worker and management---an US against THEM mentality, that, IMHO, is actually counterproductive, and does much to create resentment between workers and their bosses. *Some* railroads look for reasons to take employees out of service rather than to truly correct problems, and cause employees to be anxious to do the job right. They treat people like 5 years old who must be "punished" for their errors. IOW, they assume that people are incapable of making correct decisions by their very nature, and they must be punished rather than corrected. To me, creating a positive atmosphere in which the employees are participants in the goals of the company rather than automatic adversaries would/should be top priority. And there are more reasons why the employees complain.

One must work in the Transportation Department/Line of Road in order to fully understand the deeply entrenched environment of the railroad. Its lifestyle is different, the language is different, the tension is high, and being a railroader is like no other career one can have. It affects everything you do, and even tho I have been retired for years (medical), I still sometimes "work" on the railroad thru dreams and memories. When I wake up, its as if I have worked an entire "shift" on the railroad and never left it! And I'm SO tired when that happens. Being a railroader is........well, its like.............a love-hate relationship. I loved the machinery and how it worked. I enjoyed being around so many unusual machines and locomotives (diesel, steam, passenger cars, work equipment, Tampers, Kershaw Ballast regulators, all KINDS of railroad gadgets and stuff, but I HATED some of the treatment. ............Like being accused of something I did not do. Or being given ground time because my machine failed. (They did that one time only for me to PROVE it was a failure caused by the supervisor's not following repair procedures. The supervisor would NOT listen to my explanation of WHY the incident happened; all he was interested in was FIRING me. Hee! Hee! He got in a LOT of trouble when I proved he was WRONG & got transferred OUT over it! I got 60 days BACK PAY because of it! :-D

Be sure of THIS: Railroading is NOT a magic little train with lollipops and moon beams all around--nothing like its painted in the railroad fan mags. It is a rough, gritty, in-yer-face kind of life & it takes a certain kind of person to tough it out. It isn't a "job": it is a LIFESTYLE that carries costs! Costs in health, anxiety, pressure, marriages, the kids, and one's home. I would not recommend Line of Road if one is married, or expects to be. Shoot for the shops where there is 'shift work' and going home after 8 hrs. An' that's about it! :-D
 #1288551  by csxhobo

MR77100 wrote:Why does Norfolk Southern have the nickname Nazi Southern? Is it because they treat their employees bad? Is it because they hire the wrong people?
So you got your self fired from UP and now you have come to start bashing other class 1 railroads. It sounds like UP is the one hiring the wrong people. People that can't follow the rules. You got you fired point blank. So don't take it out on other railroads.
 #1288587  by Freddy

I had 3 locations I as CSX shared maintenance with the NS. A road crossing a track circuit and an interlock and in a total of 25 years I never heard that term used by them or anyone else. But it was also common knowledge among CSX,BNSF and of course NS employees that the Southern had a low tolerance for screw ups.
 #1288598  by GE45tonner

I've never heard anyone use this term either. It's not remotely funny. And from what I know the Class One's are all pretty similar. Similar management, operating style, union, etc. Just different colors. The only thing I know NS is unique for is it does not have a guaranteed conductors board.
 #1288614  by RussNelson

If you Google search for "Nazi Southern" (including the quotes), you can find a few references to it. It's even in a book called "Railroads and the American People." Also in "The Men Who Loved Trains" saying "The hatred from labor was so intense that some union leaders at Conrail dubbed NS the Nazi Southern."

"I work for Norfolk Southern, better known as Nazi Southern, as a machine operator." implies that it's not a foamer term.
"When I worked for Nazi-Southern Railway, I serviced locomotives, and the real train horns would pop a brake button in a second. " same thing.
 #1288670  by COEN77

I retired from CSX it had some nicknames. Some of the nicer ones "Cheap Skate Xpress" "Chicken S--t Xpress". I've never hear
Nazi Southern" the only one I know is "No S--t". LOL! Every place will have disgruntled people. CSX has it's own website dedicated to bashing it. My experience do your job they'll leave you alone. I never went up to the main offices unless I had to usually once a year to get qualified on the operating rule. Saw my immediate supervisor the Road Foreman of Engines once a year to sign my certification card. Out of sight out of their minds. Most problems occur when someone gets complacent today everything has to be checked & rechecked there's no room for error. That's the mind set today everything is micromanaged local management no longer makes any decisions.
 #1288702  by Desertdweller

Most railroads that have been around awhile get nicknames, usually based on their initials. They are not always derogatory.

Don't let the moonbeams get in your eyes so you run over a red or blue lollypop!

Les
 #1289171  by cockerhamsg

Yeah Gadfly, I am a railroader, a conductor for NS. You know...actually on the ground. Its important that you understand there are other actual railroad employees on here, and who aren't retired.
 #1289173  by cockerhamsg

GE45tonner wrote:I've never heard anyone use this term either. It's not remotely funny. And from what I know the Class One's are all pretty similar. Similar management, operating style, union, etc. Just different colors. The only thing I know NS is unique for is it does not have a guaranteed conductors board.
Again, this stuff about not having a guarantee is false as far as it being system wide. My terminal has a guarantee for both the yard conductors and road conductors. It varies from terminal to terminal, maybe even division to division.
 #1289908  by matawanaberdeen

I heard this nickname from a passenger engineer I know. It had a lot to do with "bags" that NS used to hand out to train crews because NS refused to supply bathrooms or breaks. Something like that. I heard they handed out buckets and bags before every trip.
 #1290951  by the sarge

matawanaberdeen wrote:I heard this nickname from a passenger engineer I know. It had a lot to do with "bags" that NS used to hand out to train crews because NS refused to supply bathrooms or breaks. Something like that. I heard they handed out buckets and bags before every trip.
This toilet crisis was the first time I ever heard the "Nazi" term being used in relation to NS. As you mentioned, the real source of ire were the bags because not only did they have to be signed out before a shift, but had to be RETURNED at the end of shift, FULL or empty. Many felt the poop drop-offs to be humiliating and degrading - but a few considered it a great way to give the RR some ***T back!
 #1291054  by Freddy

the sarge wrote:
matawanaberdeen wrote:I heard this nickname from a passenger engineer I know. It had a lot to do with "bags" that NS used to hand out to train crews because NS refused to supply bathrooms or breaks. Something like that. I heard they handed out buckets and bags before every trip.
This toilet crisis was the first time I ever heard the "Nazi" term being used in relation to NS. As you mentioned, the real source of ire were the bags because not only did they have to be signed out before a shift, but had to be RETURNED at the end of shift, FULL or empty. Many felt the poop drop-offs to be humiliating and degrading - but a few considered it a great way to give the RR some ***T back!
I'd say that's comes close to Nazi. But that's me.