Railroad Forums 

• National Docs through Erie tunnel?

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#959063  by CPSK

Hi;
I was just looking at a Google Earth image of the area where the National Docs (previously the Nave connecting or Nave runner) track diverges from the lower River line at the south end of Croxton yard and goes through the old Erie tunnel.
Now I see that construction of the new bridges for US 1/9 seems to have obliterated the track under the bridge leading to the tunnel.
The Google image is 2010.

So what's up with this?
Is there no more access to the National Docs from the River line?

Thanks

FW
 #959264  by CPSK

OK. Seems like Google Earth images are a mixed breed. Sometimes when zooming, I get different images at different zoom altitudes, or just refreshing the display will change it.
Did they do both widening and height increase for the tunnel? I recall a few years ago listening to the CSX NI dispatcher discussing height restrictions on a train that was supposed to go through the tunnel. I think it was 21 ft max at that time.

FW