Railroad Forums 

• Nassau Tower

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #524959  by FarRock41

Hello. Does Nassau Tower still have an operator? Does it still control the switches and signals. I've been there a few times, only see some mow vehicles there. Thanks

#524963  by pennsy

I see you still have some rocks in your head. Howdy from another ex Far Rockaway boy.

Most remaining towers these days are computer controlled remotely. No one there to speak to. And eventually they are replaced by a large box next to the tracks. Have to look hard to find a tower that is still controlled by a real live person.

#524977  by Nova55

Id assume thats all sarcasm..Only towers unmanned now are what, Port and Harold? Open/manned ones I can think of are Divide, Queens, Jay, Hall, Babylon, Dunton, Brook etc..

#525013  by SOO4601

Yeah, a lot of the times when I go to Mineola there are LIRR guys going in and out of the tower, an once or twice I've even had a conversation with the operator at Nassau.

#525064  by SwingMan

Of cource Nassau has an operator :-) ! I think Harold and Port don't even funktion anymore. Staffed towers are Babylon, Divide, Nassau, Valley, Queens, Hall, Jay, Dunton, Brook, PSCC, and WSYT ( West Side Yard Tower).

lirr415-Peter
 #525075  by amtrakhogger

Harold Tower is closed and remoted from PSCC. However, the East
Side Access Project may require local control during construction and you may see the tower reopen.

#525077  by Spartan Phalanx

Where is Brook tower located and what does it control? Thanks.
 #525098  by FarRock41

Hey, Alan. :-D Oops! Should have posted this one under the LIRR thread. I hear Valley alot on the scanner as well as Jay and Hall. I forgot about Brook and Babylon. Yes, it seems like the computer is taking over these old RR jobs. I grew up in Inwood, right along the Far Rock branch.

#525102  by Nova55

Brook is in Brooklyn, East end of Flatbush Ave. Controls from where Dunton leaves off IIRC..