Railroad Forums 

• Narrow Guage Locomotive actually for sale on EBAY!!!!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#93840  by DutchRailnut

in Buenos Aires Argentina hmm the shipping cost allone would set you back $10k

#93937  by james1787

A few months ago I saw someone selling a railroad passenger car on Ebay. I think they were asking $100,000 for it. It didnt get a single bid. The second time they auctioned it they dropped the price. I don't think it ever sold.

#94606  by Irish Chieftain

Is this locomotive coming to NJ or something...?

#94613  by David

Good question---Is there a better place to put this one? However, if the bidder that wins that little guy lives in New Jersey and plans to put it on New Jersey railroads, this thread can stay--LOL.
Last edited by David on Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#94653  by chuchubob

How about if two of the responses are related to NJ?

Here's a link to another photo of the 2-foot gauge steam engine that Bob Stanton, then of Pilesgrove, Salem County, sold on ebay last year.

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery/Misc ... 8_20_R_W_1

Bob
 #94719  by railroadcarmover

i was going to bid on the 2 NC FM H12-44 locomotives that were on ebay last year and if i was successful in the bid i was planning on moving them both to NJ. I backed off due to the fact that i have too many projects going on presently. I also own H12-44 #1845 and a large inventory of FM spare parts.
Ohio Central wound up getting the 2 units on Ebay. Talk about excellent condition units.

Who would have ever thought they would see FM's on EBay?????

#94730  by james1787

Theoretically, If an average schmoe like myself were to bid on ebay and buy a locomotive.. what does one do with it? I guess you would need permission to ship it to some kind of museum to keep it at? It's not exactly something you can cruise around a yard or ROW with. It still would be cool to own something like that. Heh, of course I have two factors immediately cancelling that thought: 1. money 2. my wife :wink:

#94766  by Ken W2KB

A museum or an agreeable owner of a business with a siding where the car/loco would not be in the way. Many shortlines charge a small space rental fee for individuals to store equipment. The big cost would be the cost to move the car or locomotive, especially if it doesn't meet current interchange rule requirement.

#94937  by cjvrr

WIth the two units that went to Ohio, supposedly they shipped the one that had roller bearing trucks first. Took those trucks out from under the unit once at the Ohio Central, shipped them back to NC and placed them under the other unit. Took the friction bearing trucks from that unit and trucked them back to Ohio.

Talk about costing money to ship, that had to cost a fortune in just crane charges to lift the units.

Chris

#95092  by Ken W2KB

The ex-NYC Hickory Creek observation undergoing truck repairs the last few months at Lebanon, NJ was and is jacked up on 4 very large car jacks. The cars in question may not have needed a crane either.

#95112  by sullivan1985

NJt gonna put all their old GP40's on e-bay when it comes time to retire them. It will start a whole new generation of ebaying.

eBay Motors for Cars...

eBay Units for Rails...

That would be intresting... "How much you want for that DDX40?"

#95408  by railroadcarmover

Yes that is how they shipped the 2 FM's to Ohio. That was the concern i was facing as well. The expense of getting the one unit "retrucked" in order to move it.
Ironically i was in Columbus Ohio in May of 2004 and i saw the 1802 FM coupled up to 2 ex Amtrack, Ohio Central F40's that were drilling a cut of hoppers cars in the yard there. Talk about a lashup!!!!

#95435  by Irish Chieftain

sullivan1985 wrote:NJt gonna put all their old GP40's on e-bay when it comes time to retire them. It will start a whole new generation of ebaying
Look up "F40PHR231" online (or Amtrak F40PHR 231). That's something similar...