Railroad Forums 

• Names of main lines

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#86154  by SPUI

What are the names of the main lines that CSX uses? I guess 'main' would be defined by traffic, or maybe by joining other lines.
I know about the A and S lines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:CSX_ ... _lines.png), though large parts of the S line are no longer used.
Is the Water Level Route still called that?
What other major named lines exist?

#86208  by charlie6017

The Water Level Route is still referred to as that, but it's sort of split up into segments.

For example, from Buffalo, NY to Syracuse, it's called the "Rochester Subdivision". From Syracuse to Selkirk, it's "Mohawk Subdivision". Conrail's "Montreal Secondary" is now the "St. Lawrence Subdivision".

Maybe others can help fill in with some more?

#86226  by CSX Conductor

Selkirk to CP92 in Wilbraham, Mass was the Berkshire Line on Conrail, now it is the Berkshire (BK) Sub-Division.

CP-92 to Boston (where it end @ Amtrak's CP Cove) was the Boston Line, but is now the Boston (BO) Sub-division. :wink:

#86232  by SPUI

Actually I have a list of the subdivisions. I know the A and S lines are still called that (Orlando MPO documents call them that), even though they also have SD names (Sanford, Lakeland, etc).
If there are no "official" names, which routes carry large amounts of traffic?

#86659  by clearblock

When CSX took over the "Water Level Route" and associated lines in NY State and New England from Conrail they applied the name "Albany Service Lane" for these operations.

#86688  by trainfreak

CSX's Riverline runs from CP1 in North Bergen, New Jersey to CP-SK up in Selkirk. It sees a good amount of trains maybe 30-40 trains daily. Down in North Bergen the Northern Branch splits off at CP3 and goes up a little bit just blocks away from the Riverline. I dont know exactly how far up it goes but last months Railpace had an article featuring it.

#86772  by n01jd1

Actually the "River Line" is now broken up into two subdivisions. Between CP-1 and CP-7 is the Bergen Sub. From CP-7 to CP SK is the River Sub.

trainfreak wrote:CSX's Riverline runs from CP1 in North Bergen, New Jersey to CP-SK up in Selkirk. It sees a good amount of trains maybe 30-40 trains daily. Down in North Bergen the Northern Branch splits off at CP3 and goes up a little bit just blocks away from the Riverline. I dont know exactly how far up it goes but last months Railpace had an article featuring it.