Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #172050  by Tom_E_Reynolds

Hi all,

I am looking for the name, (old PRR name) of the little PRR yard in Pottstown where the cars for Occidental were staged.

Currently, the scrap metal junk yard attached to the yard is the last active customer on the line since Occidental shut down earlier this year. The scrap yard receives just a few cars per month.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=pottstown ... &t=h&hl=en

In the Google photo above, the yard is stil being used to stage tank cars for Occidental.

There is a NS office in this little yard, closed now I think, since I haven't seen an engine ideling there in quite some time now. There is also a working car scale in this yard.

Was this the only PRR yard in Pottstown? Or was there a different yard before Conrail ripped up the tracks from Pottstown to Birdsboro?

When did Conrail abandon the line north to Birdsboro, and build the connector to the Reading yard under RT100 in Pottstown (Stowe?).

#173710  by Schuylkill Valley

The rail yard was known as the Madison Bridge named for the village acrossed the river now known as Kenilworth.

The office building was built by the PRR in the 1930`s as Bethlehem Steel moved into town, they needed to have a yard office for all the trafic that was being shiped by the PRR and the RDG. The little 3 track yard inlarge to 25 tracks very quickely. By the 1940`s when the WWII came in to being Beth Steel was building Army tanks and big guns they were being shiped out by both rail lines. After the war and after the next two, at this time it was known as Penn Central that only lasted till 1976 when Conrail was formed.

Penn Central built the spur onto the Reading`s Main Line not Conrail. The track was cut back in the late 1970`s after Conrail came into being .

I can remeber one of the last emty coal hopper trains going west on the PRR it had 110 cars and Three Baldwin Diesels, that was in 1978.

Len.
This is Pottstown in the late 1800`s. The station was located where former Mrs. Smith Pies were now a emty parking lot.