• N&W Overpasses

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by WNYRailfan

Where are some N&W overpasses that are still labeled as N&W.

I know of two:
N&W (ex Wabash) overpass over US 23 in Milan, MI.
The signs are slightly rusty but still white and black

N&W (ex PRR??) overpass over US 23 in Delaware, OH
When the bridge was repainted black so were the signs. If you look closely the N&W is still visible.

by Big Al

Both on Ohio Rt 18

* west of Wellington (Quarry Road) on W&LE Hartland Sub
* at Clarksfield on W&LE Hartland Sub

Both overpasses still have N&W signs on them.

by nycrick

There are 5 overpasses on the ex-WAB from Toledo to Maumee. From east to west they are: Broadway, A.W.Trail, Harvard Blvd., Glendale & S. Detroit Ave. At least 2 of them still have N&W signs but they've been painted over so they're hard to read.

by catfoodflambe

The very north end of the historical N&W main line in Columbus is on an elevated right-of-way running north-south across the east side of the city as far north as former Joyce Avenue yard ( where the old N&W ended). Several massive concrete overpasses were constructed over major east-west streets, and are inscribed "Norfolk And Western Railway". The best is over East Broad Street, which carries US 40 and State Route 16 under the ROW.

by Beech Cricker

Related question: why have many of these N&W signs been painted over? The obvious answer would likely be that the N&W is now NS. But there is a bridge a stone's throw from my home in Allen Park, MI that has NS signs painted over. I had heard some years ago something about NS not being able to reach a consenses on their "identity" so they decided to paint over all of their signs. This sounds silly but who knows. Anyone have any insight on this?

Jeff
  by MSchwiebert

Back when I lived in Ft. Wayne in the late 1990's I remember seeing an article in the local paper stating that NS was removing the identity markings from overpasses due to liability concerns. I would guess that they didn't want their name on the overpass in case something was thrown from it, damaging a passing motorists car etc. Another thing to consider is that there's really no benefit to having the bridge labeled in the first place. If the sign is there, it has to be taken care of, if it's not it's just one less thing to worry about. ODOT has also been taking the same tact on their overpasses, as I've noticed on recent trips on the Ohio turnpike that many of the route signs that tell what highway is on the overpass or underpass crossing the Turnpike have been removed.
Beech Cricker wrote:Related question: why have many of these N&W signs been painted over? The obvious answer would likely be that the N&W is now NS. But there is a bridge a stone's throw from my home in Allen Park, MI that has NS signs painted over. I had heard some years ago something about NS not being able to reach a consenses on their "identity" so they decided to paint over all of their signs. This sounds silly but who knows. Anyone have any insight on this?

Jeff
  by mike

In St. Marys, state route 66 runs under RJ Corman's line in west central ohio. This bridge is still labeled for the N&W.

by asmith87

Are the N&W plaques still on the W&LE bridge over I-77 near Bolivar, Ohio?

by Tony T.

I believe the overpasses in Fostoria are still labled for B&O and N&W (or does it still say Nickle Plate?)

TT

by WNYRailfan

Tony T. wrote:I believe the overpasses in Fostoria are still labled for B&O and N&W (or does it still say Nickle Plate?)
Well depending on which ones you are referring to:
The concrete overpasses are labeled as B&O and NKP. A few steel ones are labeled as C&O.

by Pj

There is still one in Fostoria that says Nickel Plate. I have a pic somewhere. In fact, I think all the bridges there still have all the orignal logo's on them. That I did notice last year.

by Sam Damon

IIRC, the OH Rt. 7 overpass at Mingo Junction is still labeled N&W.

It's been a couple months since I drove past it, though.

by Owen McGee

Driving into Pittsburg PA on US 30 there is a very tall RR bridge which still had the NS logo last time I went thru. Also, in Frankfort IN there is an old coaling towerwhich, if you get around to the back side, shows a BEAUTIFUL NKP logo. However, the front side logo has been painted over!!!

by ToledoTerminalRy

really? may have to take a trip to frankfort sometime....

Ryan

by Owen McGee

Ryan:

I don't know how to post a pic on this site, but if you send me your addy I can email it to you.

OhioTom