Railroad Forums 

• MythBusters Wednesday the 8th Train Myth

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#316272  by Wisconsin Railfan

"Kari, Grant and Tori go to amazing lengths to find out just how dangerous it is to stand too close to the edge of a train platform".

I thought this episode was suppose to air a few weeks ago, but it looks like it will air tomorrow. What are your predictions?

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythb ... main_feat4

Episode 66
 #316350  by Aa3rt

SpaceBiscuit-thanks for posting the timely reminder...

The previews showed a baby carriage being moved in the wake of a passing train.

I think they'll find that there is an essence of truth in this "myth".

In fact, back in September, my 6'4", 250 LB. stepson was waiting for me at the New Carrollton (MD) Amtrak station when the preceeding Acela express came hurtling through the station at probably 100MPH. My stepson claims he was almost knocked off the platform by the wind that accompanied the train as it passed.

#316407  by Aa3rt

Otto Vondrak wrote:This is not an Amtrak-exclusive topic... Sounds like good fodder for the Railroads in Media Forum.

-otto-
Otto-I'm confused-this is the Railroads In Media forum. Yes, I mentioned Amtrak, but I do believe the subject is where it's supposed to be.
 #316646  by henry6

Worse than the wind knocking one over is the vacuum or suction at track level which can actually suck a person or object under the train! No myth there.

#317140  by Wisconsin Railfan

Well it appears that the Myth was busted, there is no suction caused by a passing train, and a person could not be sucked into the train.
 #317162  by henry6

What is interesting in that statement is that PRR used to claim such things happening as did a few other roads who operated at very high speeds.

#318912  by CP Wood

Do I see torn clothing fly in the air... It didn't nip one of those kids did it?

#318936  by Engineer James

Well, better not leave your kid in a stroller on the Platform.

Now, what comany is NMRX? Also, the equipment that was used looked pretty nice, 2 Bomarders, and what looked like 2 F59's.....

#319107  by Engineer James

Looks like a pretty good operation.....

#367304  by Matt K Dettman

Engineer James wrote:Well, better not leave your kid in a stroller on the Platform.

Now, what comany is NMRX? Also, the equipment that was used looked pretty nice, 2 Bomarders, and what looked like 2 F59's.....
Not F59PHI units but MP36PH-3C.
Manufacturer: Motive Power
Horespower: 3600
Type: Passenger
HEP equipped
-3: microprocessor control
C: Caterpillar engine for HEP

Tidbit kopecks ...

#397841  by SubaruWRX

I will never forget at the Southern Pines station in N.C. the passing Amtrak F40 while it was not moving fast I'd say it was moving around 25mph at the time I could the suction of the wake of the train.

#398548  by Engineer James

I saw a vid a whileback on CNN, and it hand one of those Locos running the passenger train through a branch of a wildfire out in that region. I remember seeing the markings and paint scheme.