Railroad Forums 

• Mystery line in MD

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#979831  by Railfanjoe

I was in Thurmont Maryland today at Our Lady of MT Carmel and saw next to the parking lot a single track mainline. I was just wandering if anyone knows what rail operations and companys ran on this line?
 #980839  by poppyl

Joe;

Actually, that line is no mystery. At one time that was the Western Maryland Railway's mainline between Baltimore and Hagerstown. It is now owned and operated by the Maryland Midland Railroad headquartered in Union Bridge, MD. Westbound traffic on the line interchanges with CSX at Highfield. Besides interchange traffic, you will see periodically a unit stone train coming out of Woodsboro headed up the mountain. Being a short line and freight only operation, firm train schedules for the MM are hard to come by. Best bet is to use a scanner.

Poppyl
 #981819  by poppyl

Joe;

Unfortunately, my scanner frequencies and myself will be separated for the next week or so. But you may find what you are looking for at this site's communications forum. Additionally, railfan.net identifies frequencies. If all else fails, google railroad radio frequencies and you should find what you want.

I can tell you from experience that tracking MM by scanner is tough. They are on the radio relatively infrequently and the terrain is not favorable. I've also heard that they may be using cell phones for at least some of their communications. Depending upon where you are in MD, your better bet might be to catch CSX/MARC/AMTRAC, particularly in central MD and out west in Cumberland. If you are in the Hagerstown area you can also catch NS.

Poppyl
 #988010  by gprimr1

Isn't dispatching trains via cell phones not allowed?

I wonder if he could find their yard or where they keep their engines and do it that way.

MD Midland is listed as using:

160.42500 RM AAR 21 Maryland Midland FM Railroad
160.54500 RM AAR 29 Maryland Midland FM Railroad
160.96500 RM AAR 57 Maryland Midland FM Railroad
 #988200  by roadster

There are exemptions for conducting company business, and emergency situations.
 #988327  by poppyl

Channel 21 seems to be the most used channel, but radio traffic has decreased significantly over the past couple of years.

Greg's got the right idea about chasing the MM -- travel to Union Bridge and catch something out of there. Most likely one would follow an eastbound heading to switch Westminister. The Woodsboro rock train comes up the old Pennsy to Keymar and then heads west from there (Keymar) so you won't see that in Union Bridge.

Sunday PM used to be pretty good -- switching the Lehigh plant in Union Bridge and the rock train coming out of Woodsboro, but things have changed with the economic slowdown at least regards the rock train which now runs much more sporadically.

Poppyl