Railroad Forums 

• Mysterious EL train wreck pics

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#1008571  by chief

That appears to be the wreck that happened 1965 in Sterling, Ohio. 5 men were killed. The 03300 is the Marion, Ohio hook (was)
 #1008862  by Cactus Jack

EL power involved in the Sterling wreck had F units and shown in the photos are what appears to be ex Erie Geeps, one with dynamics and one without.

I don't see any match up here.
 #1009103  by Zog

I may be wrong but I believe this was the wreck at Millrift PA just west of Port Jervis during the mid-1960's. These photos look very familiar to ones taken by a former EL Trainmaster I know. His photos featured a pair of Ex-Erie GP-7's which had rolled down the bank of the a high fill. One of his shots features one of thecranes pulling a Geep up the bank.

Zog
MP30 Hudson Division
 #1009599  by afboone

Zog, I did some internet surfing and can't find any details on that wreck. Do you know of any good links? Also do you know if you can see if those pics are the same? Thanks in advance.
 #1012397  by Zog

I posted this on RYPN as well;

I talked with my friend and I got the story on this wreck. He does not remember the exact date but figures it was in the 1962-1964 range.

The location was not Millrift PA or Sparrowbush NY but I was close with my estimate.

The location was just east of Port Jervis NY at the bottom of the long grade down from the Otisville Tunnel. It began with a westbound manifest freight which had stopped east of Port Jervis yard and was awaiting clearance to enter. The rear of the train stretched back into the big curve just east of the Nevesink River bridge.

Coming west behind the manifest was a piggyback train powered by the two GP-9's. The engineer on the piggyback train was unable to stop short of the manifest and plowed into the caboose. The force of the collision sent the two Geeps down the bank.

Hal Reiser
MP 30 Hudson Division