Railroad Forums 

• My Grandpa's Old Alco Books and What Not

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#149591  by UPRR engineer

Well Mr. Norman made me break out my UP Profile Book, so i figured i might give you guys look at some of the things my grandfather saved.

At the top of the list for me is "The Union Pacific Magazine" dated August, 1930. On the cover is a picture of Ogden Canyon. Its chuck full of old ads and interesting articles with alot of really personal information about the employees back then.

Operating Manual for a 2000-HP Road Locomotive Units, and at the bottom, on the cover is typed American Locomotive Company General Electric Company Schenectady, NY. On the inside it says ALCO-GE diesel electric road locomotive, 2000-HP A and B units. Cant find a date, well maybe this is the date, it has 3-48 [7500] printed on the bottom right corner on the second cover, March of 1948 i would say, on 6th page it has a photo of a ALCO-GE 6000-HP locomotive. Thats kinda odd.

Operating Manual for a 1600 HP Freight-Passenger Locomotive with the same stuff printed at the bottom. First page says Rev: March, 1952. Says this manual covers the 1600 horse freight-Passenger Models: FA-2, FB-2, FPA-2 and FPB-2.

An old book Up To Date Air Brake Catechism by Blackall, 1915 edition, the Norman W. Henley Publishing Co. New York. It never mentions any locomotive types.

Another old book Treatise Covering The Operation And Defects of The Locomotive Westinghouse and New York air Brake, by JR MacDonald dated 1917, Again no referance to locomotives, just an old steam engine air brake manual.

Another old one Form 7172 Union Pacific Railroad Company, rules and instructions governing operation and maintenance of air brakes, communicating signal system, standard and oscillating electric headlights, heating, air conditioning, water systems, lighting, and oscillating red rear end lights. Diesel-electric road locomotives, streamlin train trailing cars, passenger train cars equipped with HSC brake equipment, and diesel electric switch locomotives. Says on the inside copyright 1947.

A Transportation Employees Time and Seniority Book dated 1957 to 1958.

An Enginmen's Manual For Operating Fairbanks-Morse Diesel Electric Locomotives. On the first page it says the same thing as the cover but it adds, 2000 HP Class Union Pacific Railroad Bulletin 1410A Dated April 1948. It has a bunch of the road numbers the UP had and some cool pictures and drawings. Pretty neat book.

I have three little books, all UP. Form 7154 Spokane International Railroad Company, Questions and Answers For Examination and Re-Examination of Engineers On Rules and Instructions Governing Operation of Air Brakes, Effective June 1, 1964. Next one Progressive Mechanical Examination For Locomotive Fireman First Year, Revised November 1, 1941. Bunch of steam engine stuff in there. Third one, Form 7159 Questions and Answers of Mechanical Examination For Promotion of Fireman To Engineers, Effective January 1, 1956.

I have five other Westinghouse books, not hard back books like the other ones. Instruction pamphlet and leaflet is what is typed at the tops.
No. 5026 Novermber 1937, Cross Compound Steam Driven Air Compressors.
No. 5062 March 1941 The AB Freight Brake Equipment.
No. 2606-1 August, 1947 Operating Instructions 24-RL Locomotive Brake
Equipment
No. 5032-1 October, 1940 No.8-ET Locomotive Brake Equipment
No. 5032 April 1920 No.6 ET Locomotive Brake Equipment

I thought i had some EMD manuals, guess not. Just the two Alco ones and that one Fairbanks Morse manual, and then all those old air brake books.