Railroad Forums 

• My April trip on Amtrak's Silver Meteor

• Tell us where you were and what you saw!
Tell us where you were and what you saw!

Moderator: David Benton

#416364  by Murjax

I wasn't a member back in April and that was my last Amtrak trip so I will post the report on it now. :)

The first part of the trip was from Jacksonville,FL to Old Saybrook,CT leaving Jacksonville on April 16th. We got to the station on time and boarded Silver Meteor train number 98 as usual and pretty much on time(the train was only a few minutes late). We got a sleeper and everyone was really nice and we had dinner around 5 PM that evening. I think I had got the Roast Chicken and maybe some pizza. During dinner, the train had stopped for about 30 minutes because we were passing through an area in GA that was experiencing wild fires but that didn't hold us up for too long and soon we were moving again. During the night, the train made some stops probably due to freight traffic and that made us a little bit late. When I woke up the next morning at around 6 AM we were almost in Richmond,VA when we should have been in Washington,DC so I knew that the train had experienced some traffic during the night and therefore we arrived in DC at around 9 AM, 3 hours behind schedule and caught the second Regional train (I forgot the train number) and continued on,without any trouble, to Old Saybrook,CT and enjoyed a nice 4 full days in the area and on the 22nd, we left Old Saybrook for Bridgeport to see some family. We stayed there until the 25th we drove down to the Bridgeport station to catch the Regional train number 141 to DC to catch my train back to Jacksonville but when we arrived at the station in Bridgeport things got a bit nasty. As soon as I got my bags out of the vehicle I heard an announcement saying that service on the New Haven line had been terminated and I was like "WHAT?". We went upstairs to confirmed what we had just heard and it was true. They had shut down the line all the way to Greenwich due to a power line problem in the area (I think it was near Cos Cob) so we were in a panic as to how to get to NYP(as that was where my second train originated from)and we had gone back to where I was staying to try to find out what we could do. We were going to drive to NY or at least Jamaica,NY and get a connection to NYP from there but just before we left we found out that there was another Florida bound train(I forgot the number of this one too) and we got reports that they were fixing the line and that it would be fixed by the time the next Regional was due to arrive in Bridgeport. That was all taken care of thankfully but when we got to DC later that evening there were no more sleepers left on the train(we had originally reserved sleepers for the train I was supposed to catch) and we ended up taking coach. The train was pretty much on time all the way to Jacksonville. That's it. I hope you enjoyed reading my trip report. :)

#416448  by gprimr1

The other Flordia bound train your refering to is 91/92 the Silver Star.

However; the Star leaves hours before the Meteor. (11am vs 3pm) How did you end up on the Star?

#416512  by Murjax

gprimr1 wrote:The other Flordia bound train your refering to is 91/92 the Silver Star.

However; the Star leaves hours before the Meteor. (11am vs 3pm) How did you end up on the Star?
I guess I wasn't clear about this. I was supossed to be on the 11AM (but I switch in DC so I pick it up at 3 PM) train which I guess is the Silver Star but because of all the problems we ended up on the 3PM train (which we got at 7 PM in DC). :)