Railroad Forums 

• Musical Dispatchers?/06-21-2014

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1277901  by jaymac

My listening is primarily late 3rd and early 1st shifts on D-2 and D-3, so my sampling is limited, but it does seem since Moretto retired that no one "owns" a district anymore, Peck and Pitarys seemingly interchangeable on their assignments. Does this happen 2nd shift as well?
Also, any word if/when D-4 is being reestablished?
 #1278028  by MEC407

It's been a long time since I've owned a scanner, but it's hard to imagine listening to ST radio chatter and not hearing Mr. Moretto's voice.
 #1278035  by jaymac

As a rank -- or rankless -- civilian outsider, I'm still adjusting to Marcoux being gone from D-3. The entire M&M team being gone is a big transition.
 #1278055  by markhb

I don't know if this belongs in this thread or "West of Deerfield," but is there anything behind the "return of D4" comment, or is that just unsubstantiated rumor?

(And I don't own a scanner at all, so I certainly can't comment on the actual dispatchers/TOMs).
 #1278086  by PT1101

From what I've been told by numerous dispatchers, Dist 4 will eventually be coming back. Key word, "eventually". There are a few dispatchers in training right now. I was given the impression that once they were all qualified, and it was determined that there are enough dispatchers to cover regular assignments and vacancies, the districts would be realigned, and district 4 would reappear. However, I'd be surprised if anything happened within the next 6-8 months. In regard to it being a "rumor", I think the word needs to have an alternate meaning when applied to railroad operations. I think a railroad "rumor" is more often than not some sort of operational change being contemplated and studied behind the scenes, whose implementation (if at all) will take far longer than anyone would like. I'm sure you can cite numerous examples. Is the return of Dist 4 being discussed? Absolutely. Will it happen before 2015? I highly doubt it. But I hope I am wrong. I hope this helps.
 #1278087  by newpylong

PT1101 wrote:From what I've been told by numerous dispatchers, Dist 4 will eventually be coming back. Key word, "eventually". There are a few dispatchers in training right now. I was given the impression that once they were all qualified, and it was determined that there are enough dispatchers to cover regular assignments and vacancies, the districts would be realigned, and district 4 would reappear. However, I'd be surprised if anything happened within the next 6-8 months. In regard to it being a "rumor", I think the word needs to have an alternate meaning when applied to railroad operations. I think a railroad "rumor" is more often than not some sort of operational change being contemplated and studied behind the scenes, whose implementation (if at all) will take far longer than anyone would like. I'm sure you can cite numerous examples. Is the return of Dist 4 being discussed? Absolutely. Will it happen before 2015? I highly doubt it. But I hope I am wrong. I hope this helps.
This 100%.
 #1280873  by Badandy

Hey, whatever happened to Trains operation Manager Mroka for Districts 1 and 2? This guy, definitely, was entertaining.