Railroad Forums 

• Murphy Road Recycling C&D Facility - Hartford, CT

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1256892  by bwparker1

Had a chance to be down at the Murphy Road Recycling plant where they sort C&D waste and ship outbound loads by rail. Snapped the attached photo of the USA Switcher engine. Not sure how frequently this gets fired up, or if CSOR does most of the intra-plant switching. There is also a long cut of the MRRX debris open-topped hoppers parked along I-91, which had disappeared for a time, but returned about 3-4 months ago.

- BWP
Attachments:
Murphy Road Switch Engine
Murphy Road Switch Engine
USA Switcher.jpeg (140.08 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
 #1257833  by bwparker1

GP40MC1118 wrote:Thanks for the posting. Was the orange centercab around?
That was all I saw. Is the Orange centercab also a Murphy Road engine or is that a Central New England engine from AJ Belliveau?
 #1258131  by RJDC85

I was in the Hartford area 2.5 weeks ago and noticed the long strix of open hoppers alongside I-91, but in the mix were some covered hoppers as well. Any idea as to where they were from or were they just being stored?
 #1258203  by SJT

RJDC85 wrote:I was in the Hartford area 2.5 weeks ago and noticed the long strix of open hoppers alongside I-91, but in the mix were some covered hoppers as well. Any idea as to where they were from or were they just being stored?

They are being stored because the Demo business is down during the winter months. They've used that track for storage the past several years. If things ever thaw out around here those cars should go back into service. I've been wondering why those covered hoppers were in that string of cars too. As far as I know they have no use for cars like that. They may just be storing them for someone else.
 #1258323  by bwparker1

SJT wrote:
RJDC85 wrote:I was in the Hartford area 2.5 weeks ago and noticed the long strix of open hoppers alongside I-91, but in the mix were some covered hoppers as well. Any idea as to where they were from or were they just being stored?

They are being stored because the Demo business is down during the winter months. They've used that track for storage the past several years. If things ever thaw out around here those cars should go back into service. I've been wondering why those covered hoppers were in that string of cars too. As far as I know they have no use for cars like that. They may just be storing them for someone else.
Same guess here, storing the covered hoppers for the owner.
 #1269446  by bwparker1

Grabbing a car
Grabbing a car
Photo May 12, 9 55 36 AM.jpg (120.9 KiB) Viewed 2723 times
Trackmobile
Trackmobile
Photo May 12, 9 54 06 AM.jpg (130.8 KiB) Viewed 2723 times
Was down at the Murphy Road Cardboard facility... Still did not see a smaller GE engine. They were running the trackmobile. The larger engine was stationary in the same spot as a couple of months ago when I was there last time.