Railroad Forums 

• MU's GALORE !!

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#215613  by M&Eman

Being born in 1992, I missed these babies by quite a few years, but I have watched a video on them which while very insightful, was quite biased towards the Montclair Branch. The main line was covered much less in depth.

#215688  by njt4172

Idiot Railfan wrote:Rich--

Excellent photos!!

I was on that last MU. Were two of those conductors named Mike, on the left, and Jimmy on the right?

Yes, Mike on the left is still a conductor with NJT to this day! You can see him holding down a late afternoon Hoboken-Mount Olive train....Charlie was the engineer, but I don't know the other two... Probably retired by now.
My father took me for rides on these classic cars several times during 1983 and 84...I was only 4-5 years old, but I remember riding them like it was yesterday! Too bad my father didn't bring his camera... :-(

Steve

#215766  by livesteamer

I think the Mark I video on the Lackawanna MUs is the definitive effort to recorded the history of these great cars. The scenes of the cars racing across the Meadows with the William Tell Overture as background brings tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat everytime I watch. It is a must for any Lackawanna fan.

#215834  by Tri-State Tom

live -

That's Jim Boyd doing the narration on that tape....

#215870  by james1787

Are there any videos or DVD's about the MU's out there? I remember my dad taking us into lower manhattan in the early 80's when we were young. We took the MU from Berkely Heights to Hoboken and then took the Path. I still remember the wicker seats and the open windows - was that ever a joy to ride on! I also remember we used to drop him off at the station and watching one come through during a winter storm - what a sight to behold!

#215895  by NHRR WTBY

james1787 wrote:Are there any videos or DVD's about the MU's out there? I remember my dad taking us into lower manhattan in the early 80's when we were young. We took the MU from Berkely Heights to Hoboken and then took the Path. I still remember the wicker seats and the open windows - was that ever a joy to ride on! I also remember we used to drop him off at the station and watching one come through during a winter storm - what a sight to behold!
We used to do the same with my dad in the 70's. We lived in Berkeley Heights and he worked for AT&T at 195 Broadway. Do you remember how the MU's would lurch forward when leaving the station? And how about the constant "tick tick tick" at idle? I sure do miss those cars.

#215915  by livesteamer

My granddad was first trick train dispatcher out of Hoboken. Head end rides were just routine for me. The Mark I video is an ABSOLUTE MUST!

#215918  by NHRR WTBY

livesteamer wrote:My granddad was first trick train dispatcher out of Hoboken. Head end rides were just routine for me. The Mark I video is an ABSOLUTE MUST!
That's what I loved about the old MU's. The motorman never closed the door to the cab, so you could stand right in front for a great view. Some of them even let me stand in the cab a time or two. I guess things were a lot less strict in those days.

#215919  by livesteamer

I rode in the cab because my granddad had an engine permit!! What a life! Lackawanna MUs and Geep cab rides--all the crews knew who I was.
 #215927  by henry6

Yeah, I did a lot of riding in those things too...enjoyed every minute. Commuted from Denville the summer of '57 when I worked for my father's company in Hoboken. And while in high school and over the summers when I worked in Morristown, too. Did cab rides quite a few times. At one time had a trainmans' hat I would wear and a few let me ride as an "employee" if you will; even after I stopped wearing hats. I have already posted some of my favorite rides, cab rides or otherwise, but the lingering images came on cold winter nights when sparks flew and the arcing blue lit up the sky as trains cleared ice off the catenary...at my house I could watch a train from Dover to Morris Plains!

#354483  by Tri-State Tom

M&Eman -
but I have watched a video on them which while very insightful, was quite biased towards the Montclair Branch. The main line was covered much less in depth.
Somehow missed your comment almost a year ago....

If you're still out there, what video is this ?

#357029  by blockline4180

Tri-State Tom wrote:M&Eman -
but I have watched a video on them which while very insightful, was quite biased towards the Montclair Branch. The main line was covered much less in depth.
Somehow missed your comment almost a year ago....

If you're still out there, what video is this ?
Yes, I would like to know as well what tape you are refering to,?? The only tapes/DVD's that show footage of the DL&W MU's were mainly all shown at various locations along the Morristown and Gladstone Branches..I don't knwo of any that cover the Montclair Branch... A list of good movies that cover the MU's are listed below..

1) Lackawanna Legary- Mark 1 Video
2) Lackawanna Electrics in the Snow(mainly shot at Maplewood, Millburn) by Victor H. Gordon
3) The EL Volume 1 Green Frog Productions
4) EL, The Friendly Service Route- Revelation Audio Visuals
5) Chatham Choo Ch00- same company as #4

There has to be some more I am missing! Are there any more out there??
 #357111  by isaksenj

Quite a bit of footage of the Lackawanna Montclair operations appears in RonRail's "Erie Lackawanna in the Last Days of the Golden Years", including quite a bit of the Montclair Terminal.

Ron's tapes/DVD's are available from the EL Dining Car Preservation Society's E-Store, with proceeds supporting the restoration of ELDCPS' car fleet:

http://www.eldcps.org/catalog/product_i ... bestseller
 #367725  by blockline4180

Trying to bring this topic back up to the top....

Can anyone tell me how many ex-DL&W de-motored MU cars or high/low roof trailers are still in existence whether it be on tourist lines or museums>?? I did a google search last night and I was coming up empty. I know of several in Pa. and a few in NY, CT., and Mass., but there have to be more scattered about throughout the country! Anyone know how many have roller bearings? I know a lot of the trailer cars were never switched over from friction bearing trucks..

Here is the list of tourist & shortlines that use DL&W coaches that I complied from my head thus far..

1) Stourbridge Line-Honesdale, Pa
2) Reading & Northern(Lehigh Gorge Scenic)- Jim Thorpe, Pa
3) Middletown and Hummelstown RR-Middletown, Pa
4) Steamtown-Scranton, Pa
5) Gettysburg Scenic Railroad-Gettysburg, Pa
6) Oil Creek & Titusville- Oil City, Pa?
7) Catskill Mountain Railroad-Catskill, NY
8) Wilmington & Western RR- Wilmington-Del
9) Berkshire Scenic Railroad-Lenox, Ma
10) Valley Railroad-Essex Ct.
11) Gulf Coast Railroad- Parish, FL
12) Arcade & Attica RR
13) Knox & Kane RR-Marienville, Pa (out of operation) Where did these cars wind up?

There have to be several more!

I also find it very ironic and quite disappointing that not one tourist line in New Jersey has any former DL&W Mu cars..!

#367790  by JimBoylan

Northumberland, Pa. freight station restaurant has at least 2.