Railroad Forums 

• MTH SD70ACe

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#883493  by Rick Abramson

I just bought the MTH UP/SP SD70ACe; the model is gorgeous! The paintwork is phenominal. Striping is crisp and sharp. No fuzziness or oversprays. What I really like is that MTH uses brass wire for handrails, not that crummy celcon.
 #1227343  by AMK0123

I have to agree. I bought one of there CSX SD70ACe with Sound and DCC. Works very well. My only issue and I'm looking for some suggestions and guidance. I Switched out the DCC operated couplers for a set of manuel Kadee couplers, and since my layout is 5x 12, I have some tighter radius curves so I installed long centershank couplers. I have had no problem with the front but the rear coupler when pulling heavy loads, the coupler and the box that its in will slide out and off of the engine. MTH has a u-shaped brace held in by two screws holding down the coupler housing. I've tightened the crews down as much as I can but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions, she's currently sidelined in the yard, O/S till I come up with a solution :-D
 #1227372  by Backshophoss

You might try using some Kadee coupler box shims(Kadee part # 211) to wedge the coupler box in place,if the long range
plan is to reinstall the MTH couplers at a later date.(bigger layout :wink: )
The shim sizes are .010 and .015 .
 #1227425  by Dewoc19

Im glad this issue with couplers was brought up, I have an mth premier dash 9 with some kadee couplers, I recently purchased an mth premier hopper car and the couplers on the boxcar are about 3x bigger than the kadee couplers, I dont see a way to remove the couplers from the boxcar, does kadee make a coupler that is the same size as the mth rolling stock cars, cause not only does it look ridiculous with different sized couplers, they dont stay together either, the slighest curve and the 2 separate apart even with both knuckles in closed position

if this is to off subject feel free the ignore, but any help would be appreciated
 #1227623  by AMK0123

Backshophoss wrote:You might try using some Kadee coupler box shims(Kadee part # 211) to wedge the coupler box in place,if the long range
plan is to reinstall the MTH couplers at a later date.(bigger layout :wink: )
The shim sizes are .010 and .015 .
I appreciate your idea and will let you know how I make out..... bigger layout.... It started as a 4x8 and I've slowly made it bigger when my wifes not looking :-D
 #1227645  by Backshophoss

The best fix to the coupler size problem is to find a way to change out the oversize couplers,
or convert a couple of regular cars to have "S" scale couplers on 1 end of the car to act as adapter cars to
move the MTH cars around