Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#107379  by GP38

And there's a poll attached to the article...make sure to vote!
 #108050  by Head-end View

Glad there was so much negative public comment. Maybe MTA will come to their senses. It's interesting that even the Mayor and the NYC Police Dept. suggested a more intelligent approach. :wink:

#108423  by Robert Paniagua

Im glad to see that the photo/camcorder ban hasn't passed this time around, and hopefully it won't pass next time around either.

I also voted on the poll for "I think it's a silly idea" and sure enough, the majority of the voters said that...so again, this is nice to not have with this absurd prohibition in photo/videography.

#109084  by ctaman34

yes!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

#114092  by efin98

Otto Vondrak wrote:Even if the ban passed, wouldn't affect me too much. Constitutional law trumps the MTA rules and regs any day.

-otto-
And what constitutional law would that be? By all means back up that claim, because I highly there there is a constitutional law on the books in New York State that would overrule the MTA rule if/when it comes to fruition. And I know damn well that the MTA has looked over the state constitution with a fine toothed comb to make sure the rule(s) would not infringe on the constitutional laws already on the book- not in a sensitive situation like that and not when it could prove costly monetarily and politicially.

#114422  by efin98

David Telesha wrote:
And what constitutional law would that be? By all means back up that claim......
I'll back it up - ever hear of FREEDOM OF THE PRESS?
Yes I have and I know it intimately. It's not an all encompassing law and was never meant to be. You can scream "it's my first ammendment right!" all you want but that doesn't make it so.
There is no rule that says you have to be AP to be "press". I'm a freelance PRESS photographer - ding ding, CONSTITUTIONAL. :wink:
That's for a judge to decide and unless you actually have support to back up your claims your claims can fall on deaf ears. And that's a right given to the courts that is older than the first ammendment, might want to read up on that...

#114504  by Derek Bernier

Mr. Telesha,

You're right. By being a freelance photographer and taking pictures of the subway's, you certainly are not doing illegal. All you are doing is exersicing your right as a member of the media/press. Hope this helps.

#114539  by Allan

Otto Vondrak wrote:Even if the ban passed, wouldn't affect me too much. Constitutional law trumps the MTA rules and regs any day.

-otto-
You will let us know where to go and bail you out?

#198254  by Gilbert B Norman

I wonder what credentials beyond those normally afforded the media this Associated Press photographer was carrying?

New York Times Dec 23, 2005

At first glance, he could be standing in "no fan's land', or on the ROW.

#198298  by Noel Weaver

Gilbert B Norman wrote:I wonder what credentials beyond those normally afforded the media this Associated Press photographer was carrying?

New York Times Dec 23, 2005

At first glance, he could be standing in "no fan's land', or on the ROW.
GBN, I just checked the MTA web site and there is no ban on general
photography on TA property. I think the photographer was simply
standing at the end of a platform and took a picture of a train coming in
to a station. It doesn't appear to me to be anything more than just that.
Noel Weaver

#198460  by chuchubob

Noel Weaver wrote:
GBN, I just checked the MTA web site and there is no ban on general
photography on TA property. I think the photographer was simply
standing at the end of a platform and took a picture of a train coming in
to a station. It doesn't appear to me to be anything more than just that.
Noel Weaver
Photography and videography are permitted by and on the MTA. Tripods are prohibited (tripping hazard), as is flash (motorman blinding hazard).

http://community.webshots.com/photo/318 ... NSwISxohsp

http://community.webshots.com/photo/318 ... sBJGZiaDNc

Bob

#200359  by Robert Paniagua

I took a whole bunch of pictures while there this past week, although I was afraid to do so from the platform when the train pulls up, since the motorperson would either yell at me or turn me in. But I got some interior R46 shots, and even a head-end picture view as well.

#200630  by Yanks Rule

Robert, I would not turn you in. The only thing I get annoyed at is when someone takes a picture and the flash hits me right in the eyes. When that happens, it appears the person is a tourist and I don't say anything. I just let it go.