Railroad Forums 

• MTA Metro-North Railroad Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#573534  by RearOfSignal

dclarke474 wrote:Sounds good. I am just hoping I pass the and interview so I can get on board, cause I love trains. :-D
Just don't tell them that in the interview, liking trains is not what they're looking for in a new employee. If at all possible keep your enthusiasm for railroading under wraps until you're off probation.
 #576152  by dclarke474

I got a question for anyone. if something comes up, could I reschedule taking the assistant conductor test of MN does not do any reschedule?
 #576154  by DutchRailnut

your chance to reschedule are slim to none, MNCR gets thousands of applicants for Assistent Conductor every month.
If you can't make it to test there is a waiting list of people who will.
 #585107  by dclarke474

I took the assistant conductor test today and guys, everything you all said about the test is true. It was so easy I thought there was a catch. Now I have to sit and wait for the result and the background check. Thanks for all the information you provided.
 #587329  by DutchRailnut

Before test you are one out of 20 000 applicants per month, after the test your 1 of 500 possible choices for interview, it all has to narrow down to about 12 to 16 candidates per class.
 #587568  by DutchRailnut

If you have a college degree, it may get your foot in door quiker for test, but once your tested its just passed or not passed.
Maybe inyour way of handling yourself during interview you may get a advantage but for most again its pass or fail.
 #587662  by dclarke474

I kind out figure that's why I got invited to test 2 weeks after submitting my application. I spoke to a guy at testing and he said he applied back in January. I am just hoping I make it to the interview and there on.
 #589102  by HalMallon

Does MN pay the ACs during training?

It is my understanding the LIRR has an uncompensated phase 1 training, followed by a compensated phase 2.

Does MN have a similar setup, or totally different?
 #589147  by DutchRailnut

With MNCR you get paid from day one.