Railroad Forums 

• MSTS on Win 7 Problems...

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#892926  by L'mont

Since reinstalling MSTS on a new computer with Windows 7, I'm having difficulty. When I download a file from a source such as Trainsim.com, it does not work. Usually the product has an installer, but I can't seem to get everything to line up. When I use the icon in the "Games" folder, MSTS loads up fine and works well in stock form. When I find it in Program Files on the C drive, it gives me all sorts of problems. Does anyone have a fix for this? I'm lost....
 #892973  by toolmaker

I purchased a new HP laptop in 2010 with Window 7 Professional. Right away I had trouble trying to transfer programs from my older Xp Pro machine to my new one. Eventually I found fewer problems with MSTS if I loaded it on while running in machine virtual Xp mode. Many of the trainsim files requireing self extracting installers are blocked or stripped clean during the download process. I found some missing a file or two. Others are creating a empty folder and has me wondering where the files did go.

I gave up on running MSTS in Windows 7 and was very disappointed when Micrsoft killed the next generation last year. I have considered reformating my new machine to run Xp and eliminate 7 from this machine completely.

Gary
 #893437  by alewifebp

If you are finding that it works fine through Games and not through actually opening the file itself, that is usually due to known problems that exist with that game running on Windows Vista/7, and the icon provided in Games will run some additional compatibility shims to get certain applications to run properly. My suggestion is to simply run it from Games. You can create an icon on your desktop from there, or use integrated search from the Start Menu to find it.