Railroad Forums 

• Mr Harriman ... errr ... BUFFETT discusses American Railroading

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1570413  by John_Perkowski

From theTrains News-wire: Buffett Talks About Canadian Pursuit of- KCS Plus BNSF Narrowing Gap With UP

Key points: BH/BNSF not going to bid on KCS.
BH/BNSF has some work to do, but Mr Buffett is good with Ms Farmer’s operation.
Canadian roads are paying a high premium for a 26 year remaining franchise.
 #1570594  by Shortline614

This quote stuck out to me the most:
Berkshire has considered expanding its rail holdings. “We looked at buying CP,” Buffett says. “Everybody looks at everything.”
My Dad and I have been talking a lot about CPKC recently. He keeps saying that if KCS ditches CP for CN, than Buffet will pounce on CP. This article only helped to boost his argument.

Some other points: Interesting how Buffet thinks that there is "There's no magic to Kansas City Southern." A feeling shared by Hunter Harrison who was very against any merger involving KCS. It's almost like KCS having a concession to operate KCSM rather than outright ownership makes many feel that it's growth is "unnatural." I do agree that CP and CN are willing to pay far too much for KCS. The 18 billion that Blackstone offered is a much more reasonable price, considering the concession only lasts until 2047. (2027 if the Mexican Congress gets their way.)