Railroad Forums 

• MP36 Overhaul

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1562770  by Commuterrail1050

According to the roster, they were added to the F40 overhaul contract as stated: The overhaul of MP36 locomotives 010 and 011 was added to the contract in early 2021.
 #1562793  by Backshophoss

That equals a trip to Wabtec Erie,MPI now merged into Wabtec.
 #1562988  by WorldwideRailfan (Youtube)

I suppose it's still TBD whether the MP36s will keep the "lightning bolt" paint scheme or the "Big T" paint scheme seen on the HSPs and 3Cs. I would venture to guess they'll get the same paint scheme as the 3Cs, which unfortunately will leave the GP40s as the only units in that paint scheme, and of course, those things are probably gonna be gone in a few years. Sounds like we're at the beginning of the end of the lightning bolt era.
 #1563079  by Commuterrail1050

More than likely they will rebuild them to the same specs as the 3c’s which also includes the ugly led lights. Maybe not the same specs but I would imagine that they would since they are rebuilding them.
 #1563339  by CRail

As has been indicated before, the -3 classification has to do with electronic control of the engine, it has nothing to do with the locomotive's headlights, bell, paint scheme, or any other feature that may coincide with the F40 rebuild. The MP36s were built new with much of what makes a 40 series locomotive a -3.
 #1563502  by Commuterrail1050

Crail, I was referring to the internal machinery maybe being the same specs as the 3c’s such as the hep and prime mover to name a couple, not the led lights which I know I said it wrong last time. I was also saying that they might have led lights just like the rebuilds if that makes better sense to you.
 #1563506  by chrisf

The MP36s use a more powerful and somewhat different engine and are much newer overall so it's most likely that they'll just be receiving an in-kind mid-life overhaul. The MP36's HEP system may already be equivalent to what's going in the F40 rebuilds, but if it's not, an update there would not be out of the question. MBTA has changed HEP system specs on the F40s and GP40MCs at least a couple of times over the lives of those fleets.
There's not much that can be really updated on an already -3 spec locomotive at this point.
 #1563625  by CRail

MP36s have an EMD 645 prime mover the same as what's in the F40s. What makes an EMD 40 series engine a -3 is the microprocessor control system the likes of which the MP36s were built with. They also wouldn't be -3s because that's an EMD locomotive classification.
 #1563655  by chrisf

The MP36's full model name is MP36PH-3C– MPI definitely does refer to them as -3 models which makes sense as the MP36 is not much more than a modernized F40 with microprocessor control systems. The 645F in the MP36 is rated at 3600 hp (hence the name) vs. the 645E that's rated at 3000 in the F40s, although after all these rebuilds there's unlikely to be much internal difference between the E and F engines anymore. The F40s aren't getting uprated, and I doubt the MP36s are getting downrated.
 #1563701  by CRail

Son of a gun! I never realized MPI used the same suffix system.
 #1572121  by JacobKoppel

I have been told 010 and 011 are ready on CSX to be taken out of Middleboro
 #1572186  by Commuterrail1050

So what was the real reason on why they were sitting in middleboro the whole time? Was this because of 1063’s warranty repairs issue?
 #1578952  by JacobKoppel

The 2 MP36s are back from LTEX and just have been accepted into the overhaul program at Erie. I wonder if they are going to get body work at curry rail. It is probably not necessary though given the good condition they are in.
 #1578959  by Pensyfan19

I didn't know LTEX rebuilt MP36s... Any chance that Larry's will be restoring other locomotives? I've heard that most engines that go there usually sit in long term storage. Did LTEX rebuild anything else for MBTA or other passenger railroads in that matter?
Last edited by CRail on Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.