Railroad Forums 

• MP-54's scrapped in NYCTA Coney Island yard

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1536038  by newkirk

Either Coney Island or City yard. This was an usual occurrence, with new M-1's coming on board, the LIRR had some MP,T or P-54's scrapped in Coney Island yard. That meant the consist traveling down the Bay Ridge branch with interchange at Parkville Jct and down to Coney Island yard via street trackage on McDonald Ave. I've never seen any photos of the move on McDonald Ave. If anyone has any, please post.

On the first image, note that MP-54's are sitting on a track shared with BMT Standards (AB's). That track was reserved for scrapping of rolling stock.
The second image is a car that was possibly a storage or locker car for employees. Notice the porthole windows plated over.
On the last image, note subway cars in the back looking like A-B's.
Attachments:
circa 1969
circa 1969
CIY ca. 1969.jpg (128.43 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
April 1979
April 1979
CIY Aug. 1979.JPG (471.66 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
April 6, 1969
April 6, 1969
CIY 4-6-69.JPG (936.57 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
 #1536051  by newkirk

ErnieM wrote: Where is Parkville Junction? I didn't see any connection to McDonald Ave on Google Maps.
Parkville Jct. is no more, and probably built on by now. See below photo of new R-46's using the track conenction between the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch and the SBK street trackage on McDonald Ave. The Bay Ridge Branch is in the distance and McDonald Ave is under where the photographer is situated. It should be the platform of the Ave. I station. The R-46's were headed to the LIRR for high speed testing.
Attachments:
April 23, 1975
April 23, 1975
Parkville Jct.JPG (489.75 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
 #1536122  by RGlueck

I've always found scrapping images fascinating, and darned if I know why. I do know, I'd like to have been turned loose with a decent set of tools before the burned obliterated those cars forever. I have a great number of vague memories riding those beasts. What a shame none could be saved as a heritage set for occasional trips out. For whatever reasons, once pulled from service, they melted like sugar in the rain.
 #1536335  by newkirk

R36 Combine Coach wrote: The 4/23/75 image is the second delivery of R46s (first 3/27/75).
Thanks, I was told incorrectly years ago.
krispy wrote: Awesome pic Newkirk!! I haven't seen one like that, you've got one heck of a collection. Thanks for sharing those.
Thank you, pics like these need to tell the story. The rarer the better !
 #1539300  by newkirk

Just found another one.
Attachments:
May 1969
May 1969
IMAGE01.JPG (346.38 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
 #1539310  by RGlueck

In the last photo, it appears one MP54 is being used to store seats taken from others. Why would they gut the cars of seats, then go to the trouble of storing them in a particular car? I remember seeing a string of condemned MU cars in Hempstead, all in terrible shape, but most still bearing the whistles. Each car had "No Brakes" spray painted near the end doors.
 #1539384  by BuddR32

RGlueck wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:26 pm In the last photo, it appears one MP54 is being used to store seats taken from others. Why would they gut the cars of seats, then go to the trouble of storing them in a particular car?
This was probably a way to dispose of the stock of seats that they had accumulated through the years. They became rolling dumpsters.