Railroad Forums 

• MP-54 #4153 At CT Trolley Museum

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1586201  by jbvb

4137 is a low priority for indoor storage at Seashore. If a plan is developed that offers a better fate for 4137, I will support it internally at Seashore and with funds.
 #1586313  by RGlueck

"Seashore" meaning Kennebunkport? I can't possibly imagine restoration for that MP54. Maybe there's more left to the car than I have considered, and I'd like to be proven wrong, but the underside of that car was a spiderweb of rusty metal and loose hanging pieces that once made it run. IIRC, the cab ends were worthless as well. Last time I was there, she was stuffed with trolley parts and raccoon feces. I could see her as a donor to cosmetically restore another MU car in somewhat better shape, but otherwise, she needs to be put out of her misery.
I'd love to be countered with facts regarding what might make my thoughts incorrect.
 #1586344  by jbvb

It all depends on money. When I first heard the Maine Central Model Railroad needed to leave Jonesport, I asked around but got no takers. Then the billionaire manifested and now a building is being designed.
 #1586382  by workextra

The 4153 is in warehouse pt CT. At the trolley museum there.
This one was the last one to my knowledge that’s even reasonably restorable to a loco haul unit at minimum.
I was on the car before the plague hit.
There was a volunteer there who was also an engineer for the railroad who had a small Group working on the car.
The organization to my knowledge may have shut down that project or shifted manpower elsewhere.
Last I head the car may be on their deaccession list.
However, though a great candidate to save and return to LI. The cost to bring it home my Exceed $100,000.00 due to its location, being land locked, needing to be trucked on a specialized flat bed, over size load permits, and dealing with 2 very difficult to work with states.
If anyone is interested is funding the bigger portion let me know and I can advance the matter to the proper authorities.
Serious funding is needed, talk is cheep
Talk and cheeping out so called Railfan’s sent a lot of valuable and historic equipment to the scrapper.
 #1588639  by Engineer Spike

I'm glad to see this discussion revived, and Harry's involvement in the car's acquisition by the museum. Harry and I were in the same railfan circles around CT and western Mass. He heavily influenced me to hire out on the railroad, and also eventually become an engineer also. Now I'm a statewide official in New York for the BLE. Now they're most all retired, but it had me work with many of his old colleagues.
 #1588898  by workextra

I Agree with Rich here, the Mp54 would need to be preserved in an enclosed temperature/air controlled facility.
It could/may be restored to operational condition. But would always need to be indoors.
 #1588966  by Orangebeltislander

Well, the late Ping in watermill was the best condition out of any of the surviving MP54s. She was well taken care of would have been perfect on a panel track with the 200 in the soccer field. There was no funding back then from any of the groups so she was lost. Only the 1398 in terryville has hope.
 #1589011  by workextra

The 1938? Isn’t that a combine on Rte 112 or is there another one?
Unfortunately LIRR didn’t want anything to do with maintaining an heritage MU fleet like NYCT has. But in their defense it’s not their responsibility to fully subsidize such a train.
FF to current day, we’re now in the same dilemma with the M3 fleet.

*Question*
Should preservation work with LIRR to have 6 m3s saves for special occasions/trains?
Note these cars would have to remain stored in electric territory and be maintained operational.
Preservation would have to have limited access to the cars and be limited to what they can do.
It’s the unfortunate aspect of todays modern railroads.
It’s a conversation.
There is a lot that would need to be negotiated and worked out legally.
Everyone has to be the same Train here or it won’t work.
Just a though for conversation.

That said. Hopefully something can be done with one of the MP54s at minimum maybe a front end can be saved and placed indoors. With a fully functional and illuminated cab. As a walk through/hands on display.
 #1589028  by workextra

It’s about cost. I as much as many others want to see 4153 restored to at minimum loco haul status.
But, how much are YOU. And others here are willing to put into that project.
For starters.
1)The owners may want money for it even though it is deaccessioned. How much$$
2) how much would the restorers be spending the time to go there to Prep it for the move $$
3) how much will the restorers be paying for the cranes in both CT and in NY
4) how much will the restorers be paying in multiple truck transportation via roadway, possibly needing permits.
5) only now can any real work to preserve this unit can begin. And we’re close to or possibly over 100k already!

4153 needs a significant amount of metal work, new glazing, doors need work to open/close normally, undercarriage is secure but needs work.
Air tanks rotted through and more.
However the cabin lights do work!
I saw them lit personally! It was a nice sight.
But $250-500k or maybe $3-9k for a front end only?
 #1589042  by RGlueck

I think $100,000 is a nominal figure to reacquire and move an old MU car. As an LIRR historian/nerd, I would love to see one preserved and maintained. Operationally? This won't happen so drop that idea and shoot to a preservation plan for 2022. Find a building into which the cosmetically restored car will be installed. Plan a meaningful comparative display around it, such as "How has Long Island life changed between 1950 and today?"
Perhaps get OBRM to donate a simulator cab. Include displays for Sperry, Grumman, Republic, potato agriculture and shipping, the L.I.E. (with at least one Volkswagon "Beetle"....... Get where I'm going with this? The MU car needs to be included in an established museum or a planned and funded future museum.
I don't see any other way. I'd like to, but I don't.
 #1589054  by workextra

Hi guys,
I am not conversant with the quality of steel used in the MP54 compared with that used in the DLW MUs
That said, I don’t see why in the right outfit 4153 couldn’t be restored to a loco haul status. While maintaining its classic MP54 appearance, and cab controls.
The DLW MUs have enjoyed a spectacular life in preservation but the MP54s that did make it into preservation seemed to die off a prolonged death.
This is telling me there is an issue with their construction, maintenance (or lack thereof) or the quality of steel used was inferior.
I’m not getting into the aspect that the majority were gone before many tourist railroads sprung up as that does not apply. Specifically the cars that made it into that era.
Any thoughts?
 #1589057  by ConstanceR46

The PRR ran on a very wire-thin style of maintenance; both with steam and electrics. MP54s suffered a lot from it; plus i've heard that the road salt common in the northeast would corrode the underbodies. Reading Blueliners, for example, were looked after much better; which is why a ton are still in tourist service.