Railroad Forums 

• MOW Crashes .... Train vs MOW

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#349426  by ExEMDLOCOTester

BlackDog wrote:Well Boardman is the only one then. Here on the CN we can't get them to lower high mounted handbrakes so conductors don't have to climb up ice encrusted ladders to release them, 'cuz they don't have to. There is a reason they have 3 commas in their earnings reports, and they are not going to do anything that might imperil that.

I am curious what the standards and settings are going to be....a 14,000 ton coal train @ 50 mph , will the system trigger it to stop a mile from the red absolute or will it initiate a stopping action after the train passes the red? If they are serious about this, bye-bye 2 man crews, hello running solo.
Question about the handbrakes, loco or rail car? I read about rail cars being privately owned. It seems to me that whoever writes the standard for railcars (or Loco's ) in North America is the authority that needs to address the standard height above the rail.

Running solo would be a serious safety issue for the person that would need to do the job of two people. No one in a hazardous situation works alone, OSHA would have a field day with this. GPS based systems would not see debris on the tracks, or fouled crossings, and I am sure that the roads would not take kindly to having trackage tied up because someone needs to address natures call. I seriously doubt that Hoggers would agree to a toilet at the control stand to operate from.

#349454  by pablo

Ex, those were all very good arguments that i don't think I've ever seen combined. I sincerely hope that you are right.

I don't even like them in the yards, but there are one-man operations in place (RCO)...and they don't work so well...

Dave Becker

#349460  by ExEMDLOCOTester

pablo wrote:Ex, those were all very good arguments that i don't think I've ever seen combined. I sincerely hope that you are right.

I don't even like them in the yards, but there are one-man operations in place (RCO)...and they don't work so well...

Dave Becker
The limited RCO I experienced (Shoulder slung unit usually broken) was not allowed with one person, Safety department wouldn't allow it. The idea of one person making any moves alone, by design is insane. It is akin to working with one arm tied behind your back while watching the move and looking at the ground to avoid tripping. Too much multi tasking.

#363459  by scharnhorst

I don't think CSX has GPS on there trucks but I know that they call out to the dispatcher at every mile post and interlocking. Giveing the truck number, direction, track number, mile post/interlocking there entering and leaveing.

exsample:
Truck 02584.... West.... track 2.... milepost/CP 200....0ver....

#386023  by trainwreck

The railroad I work for has GPS installed on many mw vehicles. Had an operator 'set on' on the wrong track. The GPS alerted me there was a vehicle on the track without authority. Saved a life that day.