Railroad Forums 

• Moving Locomotives by truck over road

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#431692  by Kuyahoora Valley

I'm looking for any rule of thumb that can be used to predict shipping costs for moving a landlocked locomotive about 120 miles. Obviously would need cranes/riggers, permits, etc. Does anyone know of recent moves of small road switchers or switchers and could provide a rough order of magnitude?

Alternatively, contact information for companies that specialize in shipping locomotives and/or freight cars would be appreciated.

#432541  by BR&P

There's an outfit called Silk Road Transport. I believe they're out of Painted Post NY or somewhere near there - try a Google and you will probably find them. They have done quite a few moves on rail equipment.

#432596  by ekk33

They are out of arkport, NY

#435526  by scharnhorst

Ah yes they are the same operatiion that moves all the subway cars to and from the Alstom plan in the Corning area.

I think there is also an outfit at the Port of Albany in Albany, NY that also handles large over sized loads as well??

#435563  by DutchRailnut

Just keep in mind a rail car weighs about 40 ton minus trucks.
A locomotive weighs about 80 ton minus trucks, the official max truck weight is 45 tons gross I believe, so the cost of specialized truck and overweight permits will add up quick.

#435707  by BR&P

A typical freight car is closer to 30-35 tons, WITH trucks. Locomotive weights range widely but most of them would be heavier than the 80-ton estimate even with trucks removed. Making DRN's remark about costs adding up quickly even more true when dealing with loco moves.

#435881  by GOLDEN-ARM

Those freight cars are in the 30-34 ton range, locos are more realistically around 130-200 tons, depending on type. Unless, like DRN mentioned, the loco is a little switcher. Very little.

#435896  by DutchRailnut

Figuring a land locked locomotive to be a locomotive at a plant and since it has friction bearings to be no bigger than a RS-1 the weight to be transported without fuel water and trucks should be no more than 80 ton.
any bigger locomotives should have roller bearings by now.

#436378  by ricebrianrice

FYI:
Max Weight of a tractor trailer combination in 80,000lbs, without overweight permits.

So that makes moving any of these car/locos to heavy without permits, and permits = money!

#450680  by GLGken

A heavy haul rig that would be able to transport a locomotive would weigh in at around 80,000 lbs, so overweight & oversize permits are a given. I drive a heavy-haul truck for my job, it weighs in at 105,000 lbs empty!
When a locomotive is hauled, it is usually moved less trucks...they are hauled on another truck.