Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#685827  by RearOfSignal

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:The controls were on the left side of the train. It looks like they dressed up some other car capable of single car operations to look like an R142.
Actually, that's exactly what they did. Someone on one of these boards had the pictures of the mock up.
 #687546  by n2cbo

zablocki22 wrote: Then the hijackers are looking for the Roosevelt tunnel??? Shows an old subway car and an elevator shaft into the Waldorf Astoria hotel.
It looked like an old station that had "Roosevelt" on the columns. Was that a movie set or was it the abandoned Roosevelt Avenue Terminal Station?
zablocki22 wrote: The movie was OK from an entertainment standpoint.
I agree
zablocki22 wrote: If I got a dollar for every time Travolta said the 'F' word, I had have pretty full pockets right now.
Again, I agree. I don't know WHY there has to be THAT MUCH "F.&!" said in that film. Granted you needed a few of them to make it real, but I NEVER heard ANYONE (who was not mentally ill) use the "F" word THAT MANY TIMES!!! It actually made it sound VERY FAKE...
zablocki22 wrote: I liked the original.

Vincent
So did I

Mark
 #687556  by pennsy

You would be surprised, Mark. Back in the old "Military Service" days, I had an acquaintance that used that word in every sentence. He would have made a great salesman, could sell you anything, except for those words liberally used in each sentence.
 #688971  by walt

I agree-- The original was far better than either of the remakes ( and why remake that film twice)? Of course the original had a stellar cast, and not just one "superstar".
 #689826  by Kamen Rider

I just got back for seeing it. I don't see the point of giving it a hard time over how accurate is is or isn't. Mr. Scott simply worked with what he had avaible, and I think he did a great job.
 #690317  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: There was a TV movie remake in 1998 that was filmed in Toronto-look here for more info:
www.imdb.com/title/tt0140594/
As neat as Toronto's TTC is it is no substitute for NYC Transit!
MACTRAXX
 #691357  by Otto Vondrak

Kamen Rider wrote: I don't see the point of giving it a hard time over how accurate is is or isn't. Mr. Scott simply worked with what he had avaible...
If he had indeed worked with what he had, the movie would not have sacrificed realism and still would have been entertaining. The NYCTA opened up the whole system to him for photography! Think that will happen again?

-otto-
 #691547  by Kamen Rider

the only movies that have any true realism to them are reality documentries. everything else suffers from some form artistic, budget and/or production constraints.
 #691557  by 3rdrail

I read the book and saw the first one- I think that I'll stick to that. "Kontrol" was the last subway movie that I've seen. That was wacky but good. So was "The Warriors". But for me, nothing could ever be as good as "The Incident" (which was probably the inspiration behind the "Pelhams"). A big both thumbs up for "The Incident" ! See it if you can. It's an oldie but is available now on DVD.
http://www.onlyclassicmovies.net/incident.html
 #718192  by Wallyhorse

3rdrail wrote:But for me, nothing could ever be as good as "The Incident" (which was probably the inspiration behind the "Pelhams"). A big both thumbs up for "The Incident" ! See it if you can. It's an oldie but is available now on DVD.
http://www.onlyclassicmovies.net/incident.html
The Incident is more notable now because it's one of the few films the late Ed McMahon did after he got the gig as Carson's sidekick. Also in the film are Ruby Dee, a young Beau Bridges (who along with his brother Jeff have had very successful careers) and a young Donna Mills (best known for Knots Landing in the 1980's and early '90s). It's also notable because in order to get the subway scenes, they had to film the train traveling undercover because the NYCTA (remember, it wasn't MTA until 1968) would not let them film in the system as I recall. The film is also notable because they actually used the last remants of the 3rd Avenue El (then the 8 train) in the Bronx for the 4 line.

I've actually seen the film a few times, and it was quite interesting how they did it.
 #757389  by yakuza08

The single car that was used in the movie was a R62 with R142 fronts put on the one car and that car is still at coney island yard.