Railroad Forums 

• MOVIE: The Station Agent-your thoughts?

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#393235  by CGRLCDR

I enjoyed The Station Agent so much I'd like to see a sequel. So far I have probably seen it 5 times. I live in NJ and frequent the areas included in the movie train watching, mountain biking and off roading. I've even had lunch at the little tavern in Rockaway a couple of times. Wouldn't it be cool if they filmed a sequel? The original movie kind of left us hanging and I think it would be interesting to see what happened to the characters a few years later. We could probably feed the producers with some interesting railroad ideas and locations. They'd definately need to bring Olivia, Fina nd Joe back again.

Anyone else have thoughts on this idea? :-)
 #393489  by henry6

How can you sequal a non story? Yeah, as a railfan, it was fun to watch. But the story didn't go anywhere and was therefore dull and the film uninteresting to the average viewer.

#393909  by Wisconsin Railfan

I think it would be cool to see a "sequel" that is one of my favorite railfan movies. or if not a sequel, something similar.
 #397127  by Ken W2KB

henry6 wrote:How can you sequal a non story? Yeah, as a railfan, it was fun to watch. But the story didn't go anywhere and was therefore dull and the film uninteresting to the average viewer.
The movie was acclaimed in non-railfan circles as an outstanding portrayal of a man coming out of his shell, See for example:

http://www.starpulse.com/Movies/Station ... e/Reviews/
 #397196  by henry6

Oh, I watched the movie three times. While impressed with most of the railroad stuff, I kept waiting for something to happen, really happen, between any of the characters. Get mad, slug someone. Have sex. Look each other square in the eye and say "goodbye" or something. But nothing. Each one glanced at each other and walked off stage alone. There were deep emotions inside each, but those emotions never came up and out and forced an action. Except to anticipate the next rail shot.

#397296  by dhaugh

To each his own. I personally loved it, and the character portrayals were the reason behind - not just the trains.

#397445  by mainetrain

I think it's funny he watched it 3x waiting for something to happen.

Having worked in Rockaway, crossing the same tracks daily as in the movie, both there and at Green Pond Road, I enjoyed it thoroughly. So did my family.

Sequel? Or another NJ railroad based movie ? I say bring it on.
 #474671  by rls62

We viewed "The Station Agent" over the weekend and both enjoyed it. I agree with most of the comments that it was really about three lonely people with little in common who eventually connect with each other. As a railfan, I enjoyed the trains, wlaking along the tracks (which is something I did a lot of in my salad days), and the railroad memorabilia at the station, like the ERIE and Lackawanna Railroad signs. I was given the impression that the station was someone's renovation project that was never completed, given the watchman's shanty and railroad stock in various states of repair. After all, Finn did inherit the property. I think it would be fun to live in a renovated RR station, especially next an active line. Also, during the train chase segment, I noticed a man hanging onto the back of the last (tank) car and thought it was a little strange.
 #475559  by AutisticPsycho

Perhaps a stunt coordinator to make sure things happened safely? I haven't seen the movie but I'd like to see it.
 #1632313  by Jeff Smith

I think that they clearly needed railroad approval from NJT and the NYSW to film on the ROW. I would think NJT would be particularly reticent to allow it for fear of encouraging walking on ROW, especially the Hoboken scenes. Speaking of that must have been a hell of a walk out to Newfoundland! I also noticed the distance involved in getting to the Mill Lane Tavern.

Love the movie. The characters were complex and definitely lonely. As for a sequel I don’t see the point.
 #1632325  by scratchyX1

Jeff Smith wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:12 am I think that they clearly needed railroad approval from NJT and the NYSW to film on the ROW. I would think NJT would be particularly reticent to allow it for fear of encouraging walking on ROW, especially the Hoboken scenes. Speaking of that must have been a hell of a walk out to Newfoundland! I also noticed the distance involved in getting to the Mill Lane Tavern.

Love the movie. The characters were complex and definitely lonely. As for a sequel I don’t see the point.
It felt like one of david lynch's character study's , like the straight story.
And no one has mentioned that the star is a person who every seen in game of thrones last season has a look of "this run is terrible, I can't wait to go home"?