Railroad Forums 

• Movie Planes Trains and Automobiles

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#476207  by MikeSFD

I was wondering if anyone remembers the John Candy and Steve Martin movie with the above name.

There is a scene in this movie where the prime mover breaks down it kinda looks like a GP-9 but I am not sure

My question is any idea what would cause that amount of soot and smoke to come out the exhaust, is that something that is easily recreateable in the movies ?

#476304  by SwingMan

You never know. But I don't think MN had a GP9 back then. lirr415-Peter

#476343  by pennsy

Hi,

These days Hollywood could make a GP-9 grow wings and fly away. Belching any color smoke you like would be child's play.
 #476683  by Alcoman

MikeSFD wrote:I was wondering if anyone remembers the John Candy and Steve Martin movie with the above name.

There is a scene in this movie where the prime mover breaks down it kinda looks like a GP-9 but I am not sure

My question is any idea what would cause that amount of soot and smoke to come out the exhaust, is that something that is easily recreateable in the movies ?
The movie featured a ALCO C425 owned by the NY & Lake Erie Railroad in Gonwanda, NY.
The movie production crew used a smoke bomb to create that black smoke.
 #484836  by CSX Conductor

MikeSFD wrote:My question is any idea what would cause that amount of soot and smoke to come out the exhaust, is that something that is easily recreateable in the movies ?
Mike, anytime diesels sit for a long period of time they put out alot of extra exhaust and nasty smoke the first time the locomotive revs alot because they have been sitting so long. I love it because I am the first job to work each week and the loco's have been sitting for at least a day and a 1/2 and when we notch it out to 50mph it's quite the nasty cloud, lol. :P

#485320  by GOLDEN-ARM

There's a forum here, for "railroads in the media".This has been discussed already, in that forum.