Railroad Forums 

• MOVIE: Danger Lights

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#586341  by umtrr-author

From IMDB: "The tough boss of a railroad yard befriends a young hobo, and unwittingly places in jeopardy his relationship with the woman he loves."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020806/

I think Pentrex, or some other video distributor, had the film in their catalog at some point. I'm pretty sure I have a copy around here someplace.
 #627668  by GSC

The young hobo gets a railroad job and after the tough old boss gets hit by a locomotive, the young guy becomes the hero as he drives the locomotive pulling the car where the boss lies in critical condition to a Chicago hospital. It appears that the train was doing 400 mph at times, especially when the young engineer climbs down on the tender ladder to poke around in the trailing truck's hot box.

Some really great rail views, shop footage, trains all over the place.

The tough old boss is the same guy who played the crusty old sergeant in "All Quiet On The Western Front" WW1 movie.
 #627836  by 3rdrail

ncvab wrote:It has been called the best RR movie of all time.

Here's the whole film for free:

http://www.archive.org/details/danger_lights
Great movie! Thanks for linking to it, ncvab ! (If you see any more, would love to see 'em !)
Would have loved to have seen that locomotive "tug-of-war" !
I thought that the best line in the movie was after they arrive in Chicago after the super-sonic run and a drunken hobo gets pulled out of a car. A railroad guy says to the hobo, "You'll never ride on this line again !" The hobo replies in a dizzy state, "If it's all the same to you, I'll never ride on any line again !" hahaha!!! :-D
 #628306  by 3rdrail

ncvab wrote:Let me know what you think of this. I remember seeing it when I was a kid:

http://www.archive.org/details/Play_Safe_1936
Another good one. Thanks ncvab ! Top notch animation. They don't make them like that anymore. Did you notice all the realistic animation ? (I'm sure that you did !) Realistic guards on the frog, steam locomotive controls and the way the kid used them, the intermittant spinning of the loco's wheels - great stuff ! (A little known fact is that Gerry6309 was the inspiration for the boy.) Thanks again and keep 'em coming !
Paul.
 #628316  by Gerry6309

NO COMMENT

Beware of Mattapanfan.
 #628431  by Mikejf

One heck of a way to fix a hot box. Funny things they do for the big screen.
Mike
 #630237  by GSC

Wow, I forgot about the loco tug-o-war! With picnic goers within a few feet of the screaming locomotives! Safety first!

That cartoon is so good, it was done by Max Fleischer, who did the early Popeye and Betty Boop cartoons. The cartoon-plus-live animation is his trademark.

"Beware! Take Care!"